Chapter 13: Onkar

Don't know how or who did it, but the news is out. Everyone knows it is the rivers that are causing people to die. The Maharaj's messenger hasn't even arrived yet to disclose this information. I'm one hundred percent sure that the Maharaj would be too engrossed in other things that seem worthy in his eyes. People? They aren't worth it for him.

People believe it's a giant sea monster– yes, in a river– whose poisonous venom is killing all. Some also believe that it's the wrath of the Water Goddess. This has led more and more people to worship in the rivers which is only increasing the death rate. Amma now visits Swami Bhautika's temple every day, making him offerings all by herself. At the end of the day, her clothes are drenched in sweat from work and the sun and I have to massage her aging back and legs. I tried explaining to her that no god or goddess can magically present us with medicines or drink up the river like they did before. Everyone is busy making up some irrelevant stories with no base or proof. But no one did try to actually find out the cure of the disease which is more important.

A proactive leader would have calmed down the people till now. Would have told them to stay away from the rivers. It would have helped to tone down the misinformation that is spreading around. But we are cursed to have Maharaj Achyuta as our king. It wasn't that all the kings in the royal bloodline were fools and irresponsible. But apparently, Maharaj Achyuta is. It is so much better to have a worthy person on the throne, who is capable of handling a kingdom and doesn't have the tendency to act impulsively.

I shake my head to get out of my near-to-spiraling thoughts. I re-focus on the book I'm reading, a book about respiratory diseases and tracheal problems. I'm trying to find any similarities in symptoms of the unnamed disease with others. Even if it's an unknown disease, if tried, we can at least prolong its events with residing side effects that don't include death.

"Anna? Where's Amma?" Deepti opens the door to my room without my permission.

I groan and shut the book. "How many times have I had to tell you to knock? And why are you covered in ink?" I eye her stained uniform, half her face dipped in ink.

"Nothing. Tell me where's Amma?"

"At the temple. Where else?"

She gives out a relieved sigh and comes to sit on my bed. "That's good or else I would've definitely got a hearing from her for this."

"Get off my bed! You're staining it."

She jumps off and pouts. "You're so bad. I'm tired, okay? I just wanted to sit."

"You've your own room."

"But I want to sit here."

"You've your own bed!"

"No, I still want to be here." She crosses her arms and sits back, refusing to get up.

"My fish, why do I have the most annoying sister?"

We sit quietly for a while– my head deep inside the book and unaware of what Deepti is up to. I really don't like it when someone invades my space or interferes when I'm doing something important. It's so much more comfortable when I'm alone with the breezy winds and serenity only disturbed by the chirping birds. That's when I'm able to complete my work with utmost sincerity. With human company, I know I'm going to get interrupted. And that's exactly when Deepti speaks up.

"You know Arya, my benchmate?"

I hum as an answer.

"She fell ill this morning."

Shit.

I finally keep the book away and sit straight, noticing Deepti's gaze fixed on the wall ahead.

"She didn't come to school today. Will she be fine?"

I purse my lips. This was not supposed to happen. Even Deepti is going to go through what I just went through these past weeks. Losing a friend is a big deal. Especially if you've bonded in a friendship with that person since childhood.

Biju.

That day comes back to me like a flash of thunder falling on a tree. A heavy stone sinks in my stomach, making me remember how I didn't try anything to save him. That one of the reasons Biju couldn't be saved was me. His best friend.

I remember seeing Deepti hanging out with Arya from the first grade. They always went out to play langdi with no one but only the two. Amma never sent Deepti out alone but if Arya was going, she allowed it. They have been inseparable since they first met–holding hands while walking, sharing tiffins, and sneaking mangoes together from the neighboring house for which I was scolded, always. They didn't need anyone else as each thing they did, they did it together. They were complete, together.

I come to sit at the edge and wrap a hand around Deepti, not caring if the ink stains my clothes. "Don't worry, okay? She's going to be alright."

"But some boys said that she has 'River disease'. Biju Anna also had that, right?"

"Yeah. But Appa's there na. He would do something."

"She's not in Appa's hospital. And Appa doesn't even come home nowadays. How will he do anything?"

I sigh. Patients are being dumped in the hospital like garbage. More and more cases flood the hospitals every day. Not only Appa's hospital but other hospitals are full with hardly any beds available. Floors are being occupied and even that space is being insufficient. Physicians like Appa can only work day and night to keep the people alive even when no one knows the cure to this disease. Every day, they are just trying different remedies and medicines to tone down the mortality rate. But till now, all efforts are in vain.

"Why can't you do something?"

I shake my head in dismay. "I can't. I'm not a professional apothecary nor a physician."

"So what? You can still do something. I know you know a lot about this Anna." She desperately takes my hands and squeezes it. "Please save Arya, Anna. I've no friends other than her. Please, Anna. Please." She is almost on the verge of crying when I hug her tightly.

Maybe, I can give it a try. The possibility of me never getting a cure is humungous. Professional physicians and apothecaries are working on it and still, they have empty hands. I would most likely be wasting my time as an average teenager looking for a nonexistent medicine for a deadly disease.

But even if there is a slight lead, it could help thousands of ailing people in Nivaan and probably save Deepti's friend. So why shouldn't I? At least, the guilt that I didn't do anything will no longer rip me from inside.

"I will. I will try my best, don't you worry."

***