Chapter 4: Arasi

I pluck the strings of the veena, the soulful melody echoing in the petite chamber. Beside me, one of my distant uncles plays the tabla with elegant finger and hand strokes. It was he who introduced me to the world of music. When the veena was first kept in front of me, I was only seven. Touching the delicate strings of the long-necked instrument, there was a spark that lit within me.

It took me five years to master the kritis and varnams. Yet, today, when I play the veena, I still feel like an amateur.

But no matter how I play, sitting with my veena for an early morning euphonic snippet of classical music is something that helps me calm down my mind. In the past few years, it has helped me to suppress the unwanted and vicious voices in my head. My chest overflows with serenity whenever musical notes reach my ears. As if I'm in the clouds among the Goddesses, sipping their immortal nectars with them.

"Arasi!" The door opens with a loud bang making me flinch. It's Father. Again.

"How come you're lazying around like this when you can go and work on refining your powers?" He sneers.

Playing my favorite instrument so that I can feel calm is lazying around for him? I bite my lip so as to not snap at him. It's disrespectful to talk back to the Maharaj–Guruji taught me that.

"I was going to go–"

"No more excuses. You've unlocked your second soul after two years. You're already lagging behind your peers. Now is the time that you strengthen your soul. You've to learn how to use your powers as a weapon."

Generally, most Nivaanians are not taught how to use their powers to attack someone else. Not everyone wants to fight in a war or get into lethal conflicts every day. Mostly, people unlock it because it's necessary to do so– or else they will die. 

In our school, they teach us how to shield ourselves in times of fatal surprise attacks. I remember how I used to sit in a corner and watch all my classmates do tricks with the water floating on their hands or envy them when they could rejuvenate their second souls. And I could only stare as I was yet to unlock one.

"Yes, Father." I get up.

He comes up to me and lays a hand on my shoulder. "I'm telling you this for your own good. If you don't want to be left behind, you've to work harder. This music and other trivial things can come later.

"I know." But I need something to help me comfort my senses and my soul so that I can meditate peacefully. I need something other than filthy white powder which provides me with occasional happiness.

But he doesn't know. And he doesn't need to know.

As I see Father's retreating back, I swear to myself that I'll never leave music. Not for him, at least.

Two guards accompany me to the river Amrit. Father told me to skip school in the meantime and concentrate on getting to know my powers. It's already nine in the morning. The ideal time to come here for meditation should be five or four in the morning.

However, Kavita accidentally slipped on the watery floor of the bathroom. I couldn't leave her distressed in pain. I sat on the bed, beside where she was lying and held her hand as the physician treated her. If it wasn't for my father's threat to stop my music sessions altogether, I would have stayed with her.

Now, I have to meditate with so many people present at the coast. The chattering of women and men, the peals of bhajans, and the laughter of merry children playing around can be heard from the distance I am. I make the chariot stop far away from the people's sight. I don't want to attract attention. It's obnoxious to have everyone at your feet, bowing to you even if they are more mature in age.