Chapter 2: Arasi

I could see her in the mirror. Deep inside me.

My second soul.

Anyone who sees me can't see the hidden soul that was locked away for years. But finally, I unlocked it. I had unlocked the second soul inside me. As I stand in front of the mirror, anyone else who witnesses it will see a drenched Arasi in her wet training clothes.

But I see her. She is grinning at me. So sweetly.

"Princess?" I get startled when a hand comes on my shoulder. "Are you alright?"

It is my maid Kavita. I nod an answer, almost too enthusiastically. But that isn't enough for me as I hug her thin body tightly in my arms to express my happiness.

"Princess, what're you doing?" Kavita asks in a stiff tone.

"I-I don't know how to say it!" I break the hug and shake her shoulders. "I unlocked my second soul Kavita!"

At first, her forehead crinkles into a frown making her wrinkles prominent. But when the information settles inside her, her eyes turn ecstatic as she covers her mouth in a state of astonishment. "Oh, Swami Bhautika! That is unbelievable, my princess!"

I swirl around the spacious floors of my room. "I can't believe it either!"

"This is good news and it should be told to the Maharaj. You should yourself do it, my princess. It would bring him utter joy."

"That's exactly what I'm going to do." I almost exit the room when Kavita stops me.

"Wait, princess, you need to be presentable first."

"Oh right."

She laughs at my excitement while I rush back to my room. "Bring me my clothes, Kavita. There's no time to waste." I smile widely as I remove my wet clothes to dry myself when-

Slow down, princess. I hear a voice.

"What?" I ask aloud.

"Something happened, Princess?" Kavita asks as she brings me my pattu pavadai for today. The top is cherry red with yellow flower borders. The pleated skirt is long and plain but the border is decorated similarly to that like the blouse Kavita is helping me with.

"Nothing." I shake my head at Kavita who continues her work. But my brows remain stressed, as I wonder from where did I hear that voice. It isn't mine, I'm sure of that.

You didn't recognize me, princess?

The second time I hear that voice, I feel the hair on the back of my neck bristle. It's when I realize who it is.

'You're my second soul, aren't you?' This time, I don't speak out loud but say it in my mind.

Oh, stop calling me by your second soul. I have a name that you can use.

For a moment, I'm left amazed by the fact that I'm talking to my second soul. Guruji had never told me that you could talk to your second soul.

'This is amazing... I didn't know we could talk.'

Of course, we can. We did talk when you were underwater. When we first met.

'I didn't realize that I was... I thought it was me.'

I could feel her laughter reverberating through my bones, my ears. But only I could hear it. You silly girl. Anyways, I'm Parin.

'And I'm Arasi.'

I know. After all, I am you.

'You? So we're the same person?' I realize I'm fully clothed when Kavita helps me to the dressing table, making me sit in front of the large mirror.