Chapter 8: Arasi

Divya continues to blabber things I don't even pay attention to. It looks like she not only laughs a lot but also talks a lot.

But I won't say she's annoying. As I walk beside her, I can smell Jasmine flowers and they're my favorite flowers so... no, ok, she's annoying.

While we walk in the garden, again, her mouth runs non-stop on why she likes light sarees instead of heavy ones like mine.

"You're not listening, are you?" She suddenly asks and because I'm lost in my own thoughts, it took time for me to realize that she asked me something.

"What?"

Divya shakes her head– but not in disappointment though. Just a simple shake of the head. "I think I figured out you don't like me much?"

"Took you some time to figure out that."

She chuckles. "C'mon, I just want to be friends. And it's my second nature to pull other people's leg. If you don't like it, I won't do it again."

"When did I say I don't like you because you teased me?"

"Then why so grumpy?"

I shrug. I don't know either. Ultimately, I don't answer.

"Then let me share a secret." She halts and pulls me back in front of her through my wrist.

Out of nowhere, she's bending closer to my face, making my heart freeze like my limbs. However, she diverts her face and whispers in my ear, "I'm afraid of spiders too."

I shudder because of her breath that fans my ear. Her fingers that graze my wrist leave the skin underneath with a fiery sensation. She goes back and grins at me and gives me time to finally process what she is saying.

"And why are you telling me that?"

"You know, just so you..." It isn't required for her to continue as I realize the reason.

Does she want to make you feel better about being afraid of spiders? Parin questions in a perplexed voice.

'That's sweet.'

I look away and start to walk so that Divya doesn't notice the blush creeping up my neck. "I think we're needed inside."

"Aww, why are you so shy?" She catches up with me.

I groan and try hard not to smile. "I'm not shy, ok?"

She is going to say something more but we hear a loud clang from inside the palace. Our heads snap towards it together before we stride inside.

"What happened–?" Before Divya could ask, we are already witnessing a man, a commoner, holding a sword against Father's neck.

All the guests distance themselves to the far edges of the royal hall. But Father stands still, with a confident gaze. It's because he can see the shaky hands of the sword holder.

What is going on?

Doomy whisperings break out among the guests as the guards take charge and come ahead, pointing numerous swords at the commoner.

"Step back before we take action." One of the guards warns but the man refuses and yells, "Step back before I kill this cruel Maharaja of yours!"

The guards look at Father for approval or any other order but Father's gaze is fixed on the trembling man. "What do you want?" He finally asks.

"First stop all this nonsense! My family is dying and here you are celebrating your incompetent daughter's success."

Incompetent. That word brings back so many bad memories in the snap of a finger. I take a deep breath so that I don't get lost in the abyss of self-hate. Again.