Chapter 12 - Y/N

I walked out of the house, wanting to enjoy the day and help out a bit so I headed over to where Steve and Dad were chopping wood.

"I don't trust a guy without a dark side," I heard Dad say.

"Well maybe you just haven't seen it yet." Steve replied.

"Hey guys, whatcha up to?"

"Chopping wood." Steve said.

"Mind if I join?"

"By all means."

"You know Ultron is trying to tear us apart right?" Dad asked Steve

"And apparently succeeding." I muttered so quietly nobody heard.

"Well I guess you'd know, whether you'd tell us is another question."

"Banner and I were doing research," Dad said firmly.

"That would affect the team."

"That would end the team! Isn't that the mission? Isn't that why we fight so we can end the fight so we can go home?" Dad raised his voice slightly, Steve tore a bit of wood in half with his bare hands.

"Every time someone tries to end a war that hasn't started, innocent people die, every time." Steve stated.

"Calm down! Both of you!." I said firmly "I know you disagree on basically everything but now isn't a time to argue. Ultron's mission was to tear us apart, and it looks to me as if he is succeeding. Steve, I'm disappointed, Dad, you need to keep your arrogance in check." I looked at both of them before walking off. I turned back "Oh by the way Clint said he wanted you to help fix up a tractor Dad!"

Nick Fury, who apparently met with Dad in a tractor shed, called us all to the kitchen in the evening.

"Ultron took you lot out of play to buy himself time, my contacts all say he's building something." Nick informed us all "The amount of vibranium he made off with, I don't think it's just one thing."

"What about Ultron himself?" Steve asked

"He's easy to track, he's everywhere, guys multiplying faster than a catholic rabbit." Nick joked "Doesn't help us get an angle on any of his plans though."

"I cracked the Pentagon's firewall in high school on a dare." Dad said

"We contacted our friends at the Nexus about that," Fury said nonchalantly

"Nexus?" Steve asked

"It's the World Internet Hub in Oslo. Every bit of data goes through there." Bruce informed us all.

"He's fixated on the missiles, but they're constantly being changed." Fury said.

"By?" I asked

"Parties unknown to us."

"Do we have an ally?" Nat looked up from the picture Clint's daughter, Lila, had drawn.

"Ultron has an enemy, that's not the same thing." Fury replied

"Maybe we should go to Oslo, find this unknown party." Dad suggested.

"Y'know I was happy to see you boss but I was kinda hoping you'd have more than that." Nat said to Fury.

"I do, I have you," Fury sipped his beer.

"For some reason, that's not making me feel much better." I replied

"Back in the day I had eyes and ears everywhere," Fury looked at us. "You kids had all the tech you could dream of and here we all are back on earth with nothing but our wit and will to save the world." He paused "Ultron says that the Avengers are the only thing between him and his mission and whether or not he admits it, his mission is global destruction, everything laid in a grave. So stand, outwit the platinum bastard."

"Steve doesn't like that kinda talk." Nat grinned.

"You know what Romanoff?" Steve sassed back.

"So what does he want?" Nick asked.

"To become better, better than us." Steve answered after a second's thought. "He keeps building bodies."

"Person bodies, The human form is inefficient, biologically speaking and yet he keeps coming back to it." Dad said thoughtfully.

"When you two programmed him to protect the human race, you amazingly failed." Nat said

"They don't need to be protected, they need to evolve. Ultron will evolve. That's probably why he had the enhanced kids" Bruce nodded as he put it all together I thought of Pietro and Wanda, a pang of guilt struck through me that we had left them with the monster.

"How?" asked Nick

"Has anyone contacted Helen Cho recently?" Bruce asked. We all looked at each other.