Chapter 4

"May I help you with anything."

Olivia turned to look at me. "You can chop up the onions." Groaning. I get the chopping board out. "I hate doing the onions as well."

"Why do they have to hurt so much." She chuckles. "Such little things with a powerful presence." Looking around I notice she's already cooked the rice and is now dicing the tomatoes to pour in the mease-meat on the pan.

After what happened two days ago, I decided to put a lid on my feelings. She is my stepmother at the end of the day. It's the best for all parties involved. But it hurts to see her with him, I have locked myself in the room to avoid seeing them together.

Olivia places carrots next to me as she grabs something from the top drawer. Her breasts are in my face not anything inappropriate but in my case anything she does is sexual. Plus, she smells divine, I'm obsessed with that scent. Avoiding her brushing my arm I move to the sink and rinse the carrots even though she already washed them.

"So how are you liking the school?"

"Isn't bad has I thought."

A sizzling sound feels the room as she pours the chopped stuff on the pan. "I attended boarding school during my high school years. It was fun, what I liked about it was the freedom."

Handing her the salt. "How come? I feel like I don't have freedom."

"Felt like that in the beginning but as time went by I realized the advantage of being there." She looks at me and smiles. Someone hold my hand. "Don't ask me more questions, would hate to be a bad influence."

"Oh so you were bad, bad?" I think we all have determined that. But I act shocked which she doesn't buy because she throws me a side eye suggesting I know she's down to get dirty. "I don't believe that, share one story to prove this theory."

She covers the food and steps closer, leaning on the opposite side of the counter. Crossing her hands on her chest. "We once snack in a bottle of vodka and mixed it with our juice in a two little bottle. I got so wasted my friends had to take me to the showers and pour water on me because I almost got us caught by the matron." My grin is huge right now. "now the water part was unnecessary."

"At least one of us had fun." I make myself busy preparing the table. Because I am hungry. When I smell food and it's not in my mouth, I salivate and get hungrier. "I just want to get my grades up, didn't like how they were last term."

"You came fourth place last term."

"and I have maintained second place, only to drop like that. I worked hard and the results were disappointing." She nods. Bring two plates at the table. "Isn't Dad on his way?"

"His nowhere close to coming home."

"Still staying out late?"

"Old habits."

"Are they?" she eyes me suspiciously, "This was one of the reasons he fought with mom." Maybe I should stop talking. "He just wasn't there."

"Spencer?"

The air is thicker. I once again overstepped. The lines are blurring and I hate it. Olivia doesn't look frustrated but I can feel it.

"Sorry."

"No you didn't say anything wrong." But her eyes said otherwise. "At the end of the day his your father and there things I can't discuss with you." Continues eating and I do the same. Though I don't like it, I thought Dad would have learned a lesson from his previous marriage.

And later instead of sleeping, I'm watching the window for my father. He comes at one in the morning. Running to the door I open it just a little bit so I can hear them down the hall. I back off when his steps come closer as their bedroom is nest to mine. The door opens and closes and I move to the bed, it seems Olivia wasn't in the sitting-room this time around.