XXXIV: Emergency Calls

WARNING: This chapter contains hospitals, illness (not specified), and hints at main character death (not any of the Lasso folks, one of our OC's), so please be wary and skip if you need to! <3

Connie sat at her dressing table, elbows resting on it as she redid her eyeliner for what she was sure was the tenth time. She'd never been great at makeup, in all honesty, preferring to go without it more often than not. But, Sam's restaurant was finally opening, and she'd be damned if she didn't get dolled up a little bit for it.

"You look beautiful, mi amor," said Dani, a fond smile on his face as he stood a few feet behind her buttoning up his shirt.

Connie's breath caught in her throat at the brief sight of his bare abdomen as if she hadn't seen it plenty of times before. She shook off the feeling, smiling back at Dani through the mirror. "As do you. I love that colour on you."

Dani looked down at the patterned red button-up and smiled sheepishly, deciding to leave the top two buttons undone and winking at Connie. He ran a hand through his hair before leaning closer, pressing a kiss to Connie's temple before wandering out of the room to find a belt.

Connie was satisfied with her look around ten minutes later, topping it off with a red lip, gold heels and jewellery and a red satin slip dress.

"I just want to stay in the house and kiss you," said Dani, having just walked through the door with the car-keys in his hand for Connie.

"Dinner first," smiled Connie, taking the keys before looping her arms loosely around Dani's neck.

Dani grinned, leaning his forehead against hers and inhaling deeply. He tilted his face forward and their lips smashed together a bit too fast, eliciting streams of giggles from the pair as they kissed.

Connie was first to pull away, resting a hand against Dani's cheek and just taking in his beauty. His kind, warm eyes that made her feel right at home whenever they melted into hers. The smile that he constantly wore but Connie never grew tired of because it created dimples that she just wanted to kiss. Connie exhaled, tucking a strand of soft hair behind Dani's ear and leaning up to place a kiss on the tip of his nose.

"I love you," whispered Dani. He tucked his hand in the pocket of his trousers, running the tip of his finger over the soft velvet of a ring-box.

"And I love you," replied Connie, voice soft and like a warm hug to Dani.

With that, Connie twirled on her heel and walked out of the room, leaving Dani standing there with velvet beneath his fingers and a small frown on his face. The right time would come, he thought to himself, tonight just wasn't it. He took a deep breath, taking his hand out of his pocket and letting the box hang heavy there.

Dani carried it most days now. Admittedly, there'd been several occasions where he'd had his hand in his pocket clasped around the box ready to get down on one knee and pull it out. When Connie had helped a child up after she'd fallen off her bike, when she'd bought ice creams just for the dogs on a hot afternoon, when she'd cheered louder than anyone when he scored a particularly impressive goal during training.

It was so difficult to make a decision on when the perfect moment to propose would be when every moment spent with your girlfriend was a perfect moment.