03. SHATTERED LENSES

———
♩... THE ARCHER by TAYLOR SWIFT
———

The atmosphere was undeniably different when Connie entered Nelson Road Stadium that morning. It was cheerful, despite the fact that the club was still not doing well at all and were now being led by a clueless, albeit very sweet, American football coach. It was fair to say his joy was infectious, and the staff at AFC Richmond were certainly beginning to feel it.

"There she is! How ya doin', Connie?" greeted Ted excitedly, arms thrown in the air as Connie entered the office. Coach Beard firmly nodded his good morning.

"Morning! I'm good, lil tired," said Connie, placing her equipment bag at the side of her desk and dropping into her chair.

Connie and Ted continued to make small talk, mainly Ted just discussing his intentions for training today. Connie played around with her camera, adjusting the lenses and settings to ensure the pictures would be crisp in the early morning sunrise. Unfortunately, this not being a match meant that Connie did not have the convenience of the sun overhead or the artificial stadium lighting.

Connie's desk had been moved in the madness of the furniture rearrangement. It had only been pushed forward from the wall, so she still had her notice board behind it but now she faced away from it, able to see Ted and Beard's desks a few feet away from hers and the little window into the locker room that she had always kept her back to. Now, she could see the players in there, some sat quietly alone while others mingled and joked.

"Hey, ready to go out there?" asked Ted rising from his seat.

Connie forced a timid nod, taking a deep breath before she stood. She looped her camera's strap over her head, letting the device hang against her belly. She tucked a small case of lens wipes and spare memory cards into her pocket and then followed the coaches into the locker room.

Immediately, all eyes were on Connie. Her breath caught in her throat. While she had expected a few raised brows at her sudden appearance, she didn't quite expect the unrelenting attention of every single player. Connie gulped, trying her best to subtly shuffle behind Ted to make herself as out of sight as she could possibly be.

"Sheesh, okay," muttered Ted under his breath as he saw the players looking at Connie. He laughed awkwardly before continuing. "Alright, morning, folks. Same as yesterday, we're just gonna run a few drills, run a few laps, play some seven on seven. Now, Connie here is gonna be taking some pictures of our pr- training, today, if that's alright with y'all? I mean, I'm guessing y'all have met her before."

Connie had felt momentarily relieved when their attention had turned to Ted, but she grew tense again when it came back to her the moment her name left Ted's lips. Much to Connie's surprise, murmurs of agreement resounded in the room, and a few players were kind enough to shoot encouraging smiles to sooth her visible nerves. Sam mouthed 'hi' as well, offering a small wave that Connie shakily returned.

"Why does she need to be here?"

And, once again, Connie's heart dropped. She felt rejected, like a child left out at playtime. Jamie Tartt had a knack for making people feel that way. He was grossly smug and arrogant, egotistical even, in a way that disgusted Connie. Even Ted seemed taken aback by the comment, rendered speechless with his jaw dropped. He was beyond grateful when Roy spoke up.

"Because she's our fucking photographer, she can be wherever the fuck she wants to be. And she's pretty fucking good at it, so put on your best smile and stop being a bellend," growled Roy, glaring at Jamie before turning his attention to Connie, his expression softening slightly. "Hiya, Connie."

"Hello," replied Connie, voice cracking with nerves. "Thanks for letting me be here, by the way. I can go if the camera is too big a distraction at any point. Just let me know."