VIII: Pinky Promise

- WARNING - A PANIC ATTACK/BREAKDOWN TAKES PLACE IN THIS CHAPTER, PLEASE PROCEED W/ CAUTION. YOU CAN FIND A SUMMARY OF THE CHAPTER AT THE END IF YOU WOULD PREFER NOT TO READ IT. ENJOY FRIENDS! -

———

There hadn't been many times where Connie reconsidered her career. Connie was incredibly resilient and could power through anything from sexist managers to overly critical media. She loved her career, and she loved to take pictures. But, when she came in that morning and found out that Nate had been promoted to Coach and would now have to spend time in her shared office, she certainly did consider walking out and driving straight to the airport.

Connie was one to hold a grudge. It wasn't her favourite trait, but she could not help it. She was fiercely protective of the people that she loved, and as she got older and grew to love herself, that feeling only grew stronger. In Connie's eyes, Nate was pathetic. She thought he was harmless, but that did not mean she would make an effort to befriend him. He had lost that privilege when he embarrassed and insulted her for no good reason in front of an entire football team.

But, nevertheless, Connie tried her best to give him the benefit of a doubt. Maybe his harsh words were a spur of the moment thing, maybe the pressure of trying to beat Chelsea just pushed him to his limit. So, Connie put on a smile and ran out cheering with the rest of the team, all of them embracing Nate with congratulatory words, affectionate ruffles of his hair and pats on the back. Connie smiled firmly, lips pulling into a thin line as she held out her hand to shake when it was her turn. He looked nervous, frightened of her, but shook her hand anyway. Connie struggled to suppress the amused smirk on her face.

The commotion was quick to die down, and as players began to disperse and go their separate ways to rest up for the match the following day, Rebecca approached Connie instead.

"Connie, would you mind taking some pictures of Nate with his whistle so our socials can make an official announcement?" requested Rebecca, polite smile stretched across her face.

"Of course," replied Connie, a tight feeling in her chest. "I'll get him before the match since we're over here for it."

"Could you try and get them sooner? Today perhaps? Just so his presence isn't a shock to people tomorrow."

"Okay," said Connie, glancing over at the man in question who was occupied with adjusting his uniform in the mirror. "I can try my best."

"Yes you can," grinned Rebecca, clapping her hands together and bowing her head in a goodbye before leaving the locker rooms for her office.

Connie took a deep breath before walking into her office where Ted stood in front of a whiteboard, wiping it clean ready for another scheming session later. She tried to make herself scarce, approaching her desk as quietly as possible, but nothing got past Ted Lasso.

"Heya, Cons!" exclaimed Ted happily, dropping the cloth onto his desk and approaching the photographer. "How's things? What do you think of the news?"

"It's good," shrugged Connie, smiling awkwardly. Then, she went silent for a moment as Ted hummed in agreement, and Connie just about mustered up enough courage to ask her next question. "I need to take pictures of Nathan later. Could you, maybe, if you're not awfully busy, be with me?"

"Now, Connie," frowned Ted sympathetically, inching closer to Connie. "You're not still upset about what happened in Liverpool, are you?"

Connie's breath caught in her throat, and she felt physically sick all of a sudden. It had been years since she had felt this way, as she had come to get a good grip on her anxiety as she got older. Sure, there were still times when Connie felt unusually anxious, but her mind had remained clear enough to think it through and calm herself. Now, even though she had someone to help right in front of her, Connie's panic felt insurmountable.