XXXI: Dirty Tactics

As always, Connie was thrilled to be back for the new season.

Based of what Dani had said, everyone was genuinely excited to be returning, especially with their promotion back up to the Premier League. Connie was eager to get pictures of their first training session, but when she arrived in the locker room that morning, it quickly became evident that not everyone was as excited as Dani had made out.

"Everyone put you to finish last?" frowned Connie, leaning over Isaac's shoulder to look at his phone. Sure enough, another article predicting them last was there.

"I'm fucking livid, bruv," seethed Isaac, switching off his phone and tucking it in his pocket.

"Don't let it get to you," said Connie, squeezing his shoulder. "Take it as motivation. Prove them wrong!"

"Exactly what I said!" exclaimed Dani, pulling Connie into a brief side-hug. "You are so smart, mi amor," grinned Dani, pressing a kiss to her temple.

"Sickening," murmured Jamie under his breath, then shaking his head when Connie poked her tongue out at him. "Look, we ain't gonna get relegated 'cause we're together. And, together, we've got me."

Groans and strained laughter flooded the room, Connie shaking her head at Jamie and giving his shoulder a little shove.

"Statistically speaking, most teams who get promoted are relegated the very next year," explained Jan nonchalantly with a shrug.

"Why would you say that?" hissed Connie in a hushed whisper over the yells of 'shut up' directed to Jan. "You're all gonna be fine as long as you don't play like idiots. So, just... don't play like idiots."

"Fuck does that mean?" mumbled Jamie.

"You know," shrugged Connie, "recognise that your part of a team. That this is AFC Richmond and not Jamie Tartt and AFC Richmond."

"Oh," nodded Jamie, as if he'd had a revelation. Connie wondered how he'd survived so long. He pointed finger guns at her and winked. "I get it!"

"I don't have much hope for you, kiddo," winced Connie, squeezing Jamie's shoulder.

Connie made her way into the office where Roy, Ted and Beard were planning for training that morning. Roy looked away from the whiteboard and Beard looked up from his book, giving Connie eerily similar synchronised nods before turning back to what they were doing. Ted jumped up instead, arms open for a hug.

"Nini! How's it going?" beamed Ted, embracing Connie as she jogged to him, grinning widely.

"I'm good! What's with 'Nini'?" asked Connie, pulling away with an amused yet confused look on her face.

"Trialing a new nickname," shrugged Ted. "Henry helped me think it up. I'm not too sure about it yet."

"It's good, but only if I can call you Teddy," teased Connie.

"We'll have to see about that one," replied Ted with a lighthearted chuckle. He dropped back into his chair, reclining back a bit. "You thinking of joining us for training today?"

"Absolutely," grinned Connie, patting the black camera bag that sat on her hip, held over her shoulder by a thick strap. "Gonna try get some good shots so it looks like they're actually excited for the season."

"They let things get to them easy, those boys," frowned Ted, tapping against his desk as if he were in thought. "Hey, how about we leave the camera for today? You know I love your pictures like a love song, baby, but I don't wanna put any extra pressure on them."

"Oh, that's fine," replied Connie, deflating a bit. She didn't mind, really. There would be hundreds of opportunities throughout the season for pictures. But, she had been looking forward to this all week. "Do you mind if I come watch anyway? I'll have my phone so... if anything fun starts happening..."