XXV: The Rich Men Hate Club

"You're a Saint," said Connie honestly, eyes fixed on Rebecca with an appreciative smile on her face. "I feel like I should be on my knees worsh- you know, I'm gonna stop there."

"That's for the best," nodded Rebecca, stifling a laugh. She closed her laptop, and then smiled at Connie sympathetically. It was a look Connie had gotten used to lately, and it was driving her at least a little bit insane, but she didn't say anything. "I'm truly sorry about what happened, Connie. He's a vile creature and he should never have been there, certainly not near you."

"There's nothing you could have done," assured Connie. Well, Rebecca could have known better and turned him away altogether, but she was being hard on herself already. Connie certainly wouldn't worsen it. "You've helped me write the article, anyway. I can't ask you for more than that. Thank you, by the way, Trent."

The reporter nodded, his frown quirking into a small smile, corners of his eyes crinkling. "Never a problem. It's ready to go the second he says anything, if he does. Or, just if you want to expose him for being, excuse me, Miss Welton, a piece of shit."

"Thank you," repeated Connie with a hint of amusement.

Connie had always hated the press, but it wasn't to be understated how much Trent had done for her. Even though she was just a photographer and nowhere near as important to the public eye as the rest of the team, Trent still went through the effort to warn her on anything that was going to come up involving her. He knew that she got anxious, and he knew that hearing from it before it was spread to everyone was a little bit easier. Trent had a bit of a soft spot for her, though he would never admit that.

"Come on," sighed Trent jokingly, standing beside Connie with open arms. "Tradition."

Connie practically squealed in a sudden burst of joy, launching herself at Trent and eliciting a breathless 'oof!' from the man. Rebecca sat at her desk, jumping back in alarm before settling and watching them with a small grin.

"Right then," smiled Rebecca pointedly as the pair separated, Trent crouching down to pick up his satchel. "Thank you for your help, Trent. We appreciate it a great deal. We know it can be quite risky for you to help us this way."

"What head office doesn't know won't hurt them," assured Trent with a cheeky grin that was quick to grow somber, "I'm not particularly willing to let innocent women get torn to shreds by the papers for no reason whatsoever. If I lose a job for that, then maybe this isn't the right line of work for me."

Rebecca hummed in agreement, Connie smiling appreciatively and resisting the urge to hug the man again. Trent nodded at the pair, bidding them goodbye before heading out.

"You're a Saint," called Connie as she headed towards the door as well, turning to dramatically blow a kiss to Rebecca. "You're a QUEEN! I love you!"

Connie left the room, leaving Rebecca with a wide grin on her face to start the day. She made her way down to the training pitch, knowing they would be out there this time of morning. Connie didn't have her camera on her, but figured it wouldn't hurt to hang out there for a little bit.

"Connie! How ya doin', little lady?," asked Ted with a wide grin when Connie made her way over to him and the other coaches. Beard and Roy perked up at this, both offering eerily similar nods. Nate didn't even bother to look up, but Connie couldn't miss the shake of his head that was undoubtedly paired with a roll of his eyes.