🏴‍☠️️[20] Baratie Arc ~ {1}🏴‍☠️️

"What are you doin' here, Johnny?" Zoro asks, staring down his bounty hunter buddy from over the busted banister he sliced up moments ago.

As Johnny's world stops spinning from the forceful throw his was just put through, he bolts upright to meet Zoro's gaze. "What?! Big Bro?! It's you!"

He jumps to his feet. "Why are you on a pirate ship?! What's going on around here?!"

Not wanting there to be any more misunderstandings, Zoro speaks up to calm his friend.

"Hey, relax. Is everything okay? Where's Yosaku?"

"Well..."

Zoro's bounty hunting partner then begins to explain the whole ordeal from the past leading to his very moment.

He leads them to the port side of the ship. There, they find a small dinghy tethered to the bulwark. And lying splayed out on the deck on a blue emergency blanket, nursing a very grievous-looking wound on his stomach is a young man of similar age to Johnny, wearing a black shirt, with a green hooded overcoat, yellow plaid shorts, and a padded, red martial arts sparring headgear.

His skin is tinged a sickly mix of green and purple. Blood is seeping out of not only the wound on his bandaged stomach, but also from his nose and mouth. If it wasn't for the shallow breaths he's exuding, one would already think he was dead.

"He's been sick."

Zoro offers a comforting hand to the shoulder of the now crying Johnny.

"Carme, Ahio. Bring him aboard." Ula instructs.

The two macaws swoop down, each grabbing one end of the blanket and using it like a gurney to bring aboard the dreadfully ill man onto the Going Merry's main deck.

"What is it?" Zoro questions as everyone joins on the main deck to get a better look.

And it's definitely not pretty. If anything, the damage looks worse up close.

Yosaku's sunken eyes are nothing but white voids with the veins appearing from under his eyelids. His breath comes out and shallow pants and even one of his teeth looks to be missing.

"Up until a few days ago, he was healthy and full of life. " Johnny starts to explain, holding back more tears. "He keeps fainting! And getting really pale! I have no idea what's causing it! His teeth have been falling out and his old wound opened up and started bleeding! He just got worse and worse! I didn't know what to do! So, I thought...maybe we'd just rest on a little island. But, then...a cannonball came flying from this ship!"

Luffy and Usopp gape in shock at their unintentional hand in this dire situation.

They both beg forgiveness, bowing deep in apology."We're very sorry."

But words aren't going to heal his partner and friend.

"Sorry isn't good enough." He responds with his head sunk low, gazing down at his ailing friend. "Isn't that right...partner!"

Luffy and Usopp turn blue with fear.

Johnny begins to sob again.

"Big Bro. Give it to me straight. Is he gonna die?"

Zoro visibly shudders at the mere idea.

Ula kneels next to the sickly Yosaku with Carme perching on her shoulder. Both of them taking note of every physical ailment visible on him.

'Sunken eyes, his skin has lost practically all of its normal pigmentation...'

Her eyes drift down to his mouth. Carme also leaves her shoulder to softly land on Yosaku's chest for closer examination.