XVIII

A/N: Surprise!

"What time's our interview tomorrow?" Liv asked as she stumbled around the room searching for her makeup bag. 

"I think it's in the afternoon at two, but I could be wrong." I yawned as I got off my couch and handed Liv her makeup bag that hid under the coffee table.

"Thank you. How are you planning to go?" I shrugged, not having the foresight or motivation to think of anything other than the next hour. "I will just meet you there with the boys—" She applied her peach pink lipstick—"I am heading there for the night." 

The unwelcome reminder of her relationship with Y/N left a bitter taste in my mouth. "I think my agent might have something planned, plus my stylist is going to be here early tomorrow to plan out my outfits for the press tour."

"Oh and the premiere! You got a plus one?" Her voice teased me as she eyed me through the reflection in the mirror. Her tone implied that I had an obvious open candidate, when in fact he was going with her. 

"Just my family. Nobody else." I opened my phone and messaged Griff, just to remind him of the premiere day after. As I set my phone down, Liv said her goodbyes and departed, only after confirming our get-together for this weekend.

This get-together would be the first one since our Maui trip, for two main reasons. Firstly, with most of our scenes filmed and post-production beginning, we weren't required on set every day. Secondly, Y/N had been offered a role in a TV show and a web mini-series that he was passionate about, which meant he had a busier schedule than ever. Even after he finished that, he had left for London for a trip down memory lane, only returning to LA last week.

I hadn't seen him more than thrice in the two months, and even though we kept in regular contact online, it was never like it was in person. I had started to drift away, and he chased me for a while, messaging regularly, and calling every day, but I replied less often with less interest. Eventually, we reached the state we are in now, completely unaware of each other's life.

My only regular source of info about him was Liv, who had spent almost every single day with me, on set, in the studio and out and about LA.

***

I am on my way Liv, walking through the hall and heading towards the interview room.

Okay, hurry, we are waiting.

***

I put the phone down and sprinted down the hall, turning right into the conference room, to be greeted by Y/N. 

"HAILEE!" He wrapped me in a bear hug, snuggling into me, embracing me like I had come back from the dead. "I missed you." His calm but excitable voice crawled through my ear down my spine, bringing back butterflies in my stomach, ones I hadn't felt in months. 

"I missed you too." I held back tears I could feel forming in the depths of my mind. As soon as he let me go, Liv and Percy greeted me. 

"You guys ready?" The interviewer asked as we took our seats. I sat next to Y/N in the front, with Liv behind me and Percy behind him. My agent gave me a thumbs-up from behind the camera as the interview started.

"So, Y/N as lead actor in the IMF film series, and as a direct successor to Tom Cruise, how stressful was your first venture into Hollywood?" 

Y/N took a deep breath and settled his hands on his knees trying to settle his nerves. I quickly set my hand on his back, giving him a gentle and encouraging rub. 

"Well, the Mission Impossible movies have revolutionised movies and stunts, with Tom Cruise being the spearhead of the operation, so coming into this new series, where Tom handed me the torch to continue, was nerve-wracking. Fortunately, I was backed up by incredible cast-mates and lifelong friends, who trusted me and my abilities. So, as the project proceeded, the pressure started waning, especially thanks to Tom and his belief in me. He is quite something else."