IX

A gnawing guilt in my stomach ate into my soul, ruining one of my favourite places on Earth. As the pattering sounds of raindrops drowned my ears, my eyes stayed fixated on the untouched tray I had set in front of me. 

"I think the homeless would appreciate the meal more if it was fresh." someone said, nudging me out of my trance. 

"Huh?" I gasped. 

"Y/N, I don't know who you have been waiting for every evening like clockwork this past week. But I am starting to think they aren't coming," I looked up to catch sight of my favourite server in LA, Helen. 

"Helen! Hi." I tried to sound enthusiastic. 

"Y/N. You have set foot in this place every day this past week—sat at the same booth with your go-to order and one particular order: a cheeseburger, two large fries and a milkshake. What's wrong?" She had the habit of cutting through all the bullshit. 

"I messed up."

"How?" she took the seat opposite me. 

"I said some very mean things to someone who has been nothing but welcoming and sweet to me." 

"I have seen you step foot in this place every week of your summer break for years on end and everytime you come here alone."

She paused and drew a breath. "Every time that doorbell rings, and I see you enter inside, I cross my fingers and hope you bring someone with you. But, every time, I am disappointed. Disappointed that no one gets the opportunity to know you. Disappointed that you don't let people in."

She got up and walked to the counter to grab a takeaway bag. 

"When I returned last week from my vacation, I was euphoric when Charles mentioned you had company every time you visited. If this girl is the angel people have described her as. I want you to apologise. I want you to go now and do whatever it takes." She packed up Hailee's tray.

"You are selective with your company and the only reason spent so much time with this girl is because she's a gem. And you don't let go of gems, Y/N." She handed me the takeaway bag. 

"You are right. She is exceptional, and I will never meet someone like her again. I can't let her go." I said as reality hit me like a wrecking ball. 

"Go get her, Tiger." She pulled me out of the booth and nudged me to the door.

I scampered out of the eatery, dropping the takeaway bag with the homeless man who sat right outside the door. He thanked me and started devouring Hailee's order for the seventh time this week. I rushed to my car as a flurry of raindrops hit my head, drenching me. I got into the car, mentally apologising to Percy for soaking his car seats. I turned on the vehicle before planning my next step. 

I didn't have any way to contact Hailee: no phone number, social media, or address. Luckily, I knew someone who would. 

I pulled out of the parking lot, my wiper working tirelessly to resist the heavy downpour. The visibility was terrible, and the car kept skidding on the wet roads, but I needed to get to the set as soon as possible. Luckily, the make-up and props teams had their monthly meeting today. This meant Hailee's make-up artist, Lily, would be there. And if anyone knew Hailee's address or phone number, it would be her. 

I rushed into the lot, dripping wet, asking anyone I could find where the teams were meeting. Luckily, someone pointed me in the right direction. I stood outside the room a minute later, patiently waiting for the meeting to end. 

After a twenty-minute wait, people started pouring out of the room. Everyone was surprised to see me, as they glanced in my direction twice to convince themselves that their eyes weren't playing a trick on them. "Lily! Where's Lily?" I yelled, trying to find her.