Thirty-Nine |

Thirty-Nine |

The boat felt like it was going the same speed as a legless zombie. Silence fell over us almost as thick as the fog and in the distance, I kept my gaze locked on the lights of the island. My fingers were wrapped around the railing hard enough to turn white, and my back was so tense I'm sure it would shatter if I moved.

Behind me, I could hear Mom ordering the rest of the boat. I tried to tune them out but it was hard to tune out the possibilists she was preparing for. I clenched my jaw and struggled to keep from throwing up. I could hear the steps of Dad walking up, before he stood silently beside me. My gaze flickered to him, but he just stared out at the island.

"I want everyone armed and ready," Mom commanded. "Until we have Delta Zero in custody, I want the entire island on high alert. I've already ordered a lock down—anyone not inside when we arrive is to be immobilized on sight!"

My eyes shut tightly, and I focused on my breathing rather than the panic that bubbled up my chest like lava waiting to erupt. What if she turned everyone like Sky City? How could a boat of fifty people take on the whole island—especially when none of us could get bitten.

"You can," Rose's voice echoed in my mind.

I swallowed a lump that formed in my throat.

"You should stay on the boat when we arrive," Dad spoke softly, my head whipped to stare at him. He looked at me with a careful gaze but not even he could hide the red sparks of fear that danced through his eyes. "Out of danger and if we fail...Bunny you need to survive."

My eyes burned. "Not happening."

He sighed. "We can't fight and protect you."

"And I said that's not happening!" I snarled, my anger growing. "You can't ask me to do that! I've seen too many people die now, too many good fucking people die while I watched helplessly. No, I'll fight too."

His lips twitched with a smile. "You sound like Rose."

"Rose?" I gasped, my eyes now brimming with tears.

"That day she left; she said that same damn thing. She didn't want to watch her island starve and die around her while she could still act. But that was a mistake then, and I won't make the same mistake. You will stay on the boat, and you will stay away from Delta Zero. You'll live through this even if you're the only one."

I dropped my hands to my sides and clenched the hem of my shirt. They still didn't get it. Even now, after all that I've proven capable of and how much I've fought there is not an ounce of trust—they were treating me like a kid. I turned on my heel, my chin rose, and my eyes narrowed. Dad tilted his head slightly towards me. There was a slight fleck of annoyance, but I held my ground.

"I'm not a kid," I seethed. "I can hold my own--I've already killed plenty of those delta freaks. You're asking me to watch everyone die and that's not fair. If you wouldn't do the same, then don't ask me to."

He shook his head. "It's different. You're my daughter. I'd gladly die for you."

I took a breath, realizing I had to tell him the truth.

"I'm immune." The lack of surprise on his face made my heart sink. My lips parted and I realized there was something far deeper here than the threat of Cora—secrets. There were more secrets that they weren't telling me. "But you knew that already."

He looked away and back towards the island. "Bunny..."

I shook my head. "How?"

"There isn't time now—"