Thirty-Five |

Thirty-Five |

Barron had an undead grizzle at his disposal. It could carry all three of us and it was big. The roar of the bear could send utter fear into the hearts of any animal and it made me wonder why Barron was hidden away at the mountains. He didn't even have a position within the trade route, and he definitely should.

We hammered down the mountain and through the forest at a good speed—a speed that made me ashamed to say it took almost half a day to get to the mountain men in the first place. Within an hour we'd reached the edge of the city, and within another hour we'd reached the base of Sky City. I could only look up at the large city made on the roofs of long forgotten apartments. Mom once told me there were many zombies in the city, which made sense in my mind, but I couldn't see it. They were far and few here and the ones that were here were caught on large, metal fences or nets. The mindless things didn't even try to break away. Instead, they stood, their limbs and fingers outstretched towards the who civilization that remained in the clouds.

The bear slowed its pace until we reached a large parking garage with metal doors and four guards decked out in tactical-zombie gear. As Barron approached, I could see them raise their guns with caution and distaste. It confused me. Illicit were always held to unrealistic standards. People who weren't affected by the zombies? It was a dream. Sure, we had the science to give every new baby the immunity dose but how often were people making new kids in this day and age? Not to mention how often babies actually survived to adulthood.

I shivered at the thought.

"State your business," one snarled.

Barron just smirked, sliding off the bear to give a two-finger salute, "You know who I am. Tell Spencer I'm here. I don't have time for minions."

"There's no need for that," a feminine, British voice spoke.

My heart brightened. I'd only met Sky City leader Spencer a few times and every time I did I was amazed. She was amazing. I knew my eyes lit up as the sassy ebony woman came into view in all her glory. She wore a leather jacket, gloves, an AK-47 strapped across her chest. Her hair was buzzcut like I remembered and a long scar ran down the side of her face.

Cool.

"Spencer," Barron greeted.

Her eyes slid to Cora and myself. "What are you doing Barron? Why are you with bubs? Mira's no less. Not a very good idea, innit?"

"Lets go inside and talk," he replied, gesturing for us to get off the bear, "They'll be heading for the island tomorrow. But it's not a good idea while it's dark out."

She sighed, "Come on then."

With us off the bear, I jolted as guns sounded. My eyes widened as I watched the four guards light up the poor creature. It let out a final roar before dropping dead. My eyes slid to Barron who wasn't surprised at all. He didn't react as we moved past the guards and into the many ramps that led up and up.

"Who is she?" Cora whispered to me.

I glanced at Spencer's back, "Spencer Arrow. She's in charge of Sky City and has been even before I was born. Not an illicit but still super badass. I heard she fought a turned wolf with her bare hands and with only a knife took out a whole horde by herself."

Cora gasped, "That seems unrealistic."

"Right?" I squealed, "So cool!"

Barron glanced back at us with a frown, "I can hear you."

"So?" I snapped, "You could never be so cool."

His eyes rolled, "Brat, you're just like your mom."

I scrunched my nose. That's the last thing I wanted to hear. Once we reached the top of the parking garage, we were lead through a makeshift door (which just looked like a floor to ceiling window that'd be transformed) and up a new apartment building stairwell. My eyes flickered down the stairwell. Below this point had been completely sealed off and I wondered why. I understood if it wasn't safe years ago but now?

"Maya," Spencer called.

A cute girl my age with tanned skin appeared as if out of thin air. She had short black locks and soft eyes. There was a ring hanging out of her nose and she wore a ripped denim jacket. I admired her for a moment, a small smile on my face.

"Take these two to the dorms, they'll be sharing your room tonight."

The girl, Maya, glanced at us curious. "Sure."

I was almost upset that we weren't invited for their meeting but I held back. Barron knew enough to explain what was going on, and I was tired. I wanted nothing more than to sleep. So, as Maya led us away, I followed after her. Sky City was amazing. It reminded me more of a camp set-up with large tents and wooden structures hanging everywhere. I noticed the large amount of gardens on the roofs too—in fact despite the area being about ten roof tops connected by bridges, there wasn't much else aside from gardens.

"Are you gues hungry?" she asked.

I glanced at her. "No."

Cora also shook her head.

"Ok good," Maya laughed, "the kitchens in building two and my room is in building seven. I was already heading to my room anyways, so making a detour would have been super annoying. Where are you guys from?"

I smiled slightly. "I'm from the island."

"Cool!" she gushed, "I've never been out of Sky City. I help with the gardens. That's pretty much our biggest export. Especially during the Winter due to our greenhouse tents. Spencer doesn't like us younger people leaving. I mean I get it. If we die, there is no future and all that."

Cora frowned, "That sounds bad."

Again, Maya laughed, "It's not what it sounds like. It keeps us safe."

"Caged like animals, more like it," Cora muttered.

I glanced at her. It was a surprise to hear such anger in her voice. I didn't realize she was capable of such a thing; however, I said nothing because I understood. It was exactly like being back home, the only difference is that I also understood the other side. Had Rose never died...maybe I wouldn't have been so angry at Mom's rules and protection.

"Anyways, here we are!" she chirped, leading us into the door of another apartment.

The hall was lit by little fairy lights, and kid's toys littered around, each door painted a different colour. She led us to the red and yellow door before pushing it open. Inside was...different. Something hurt in my chest. This apartment showed only signs of children.

"Maya," I asked slowly, "Where are your parents?"

Her smile faltered slightly as she moved to sit on the edge of the bed. The room had drawings everywhere, which only confirmed my suspicions. Each was of other children, or of Spencer. My heart hurt terribly, and I fought back tears.

"Dead," she replied, her voice wavering as she tried to remain speaking with that cheerful tone. "Died before I remembered them. This buildings strictly for children without parents. Spencer takes care of us but mainly, we look after each other. Here, I'll get you guys some more blankets. I'll crash with Diva tonight so you can share the bed or whatevs."

"Thank you," I said with earnest.

She just gave me another smile before leaving. I was suddenly angry at myself. I had been so annoyed at Mom's rules that I never considered what I had. A lump formed in my throat. Some kids didn't even have parents and I'd always been greedy about having two. It made me miss home...it made me miss Mom and Dad.

"Eero?" Cora called. "Are you crying?"

I sniffled, wiping a tear from my eye.

"No." I lied.

She laid beside me on the bed. "I'm so tired."

"Yeah," I forced a laugh, "Me too."

"Goodnight Eero."

"Goodnight Cora."

A warm darkness filled me, and I found myself drifting off. That was always the problem, people got too comfortable in the nest of danger. If I had known what was to come, if I had any signs at the horror that would have woken me--I would have never dared to close my eyes. I would never sleep again. Not even for a second.

Fuck, I wish I knew better.