Thirty-Eight | Eero

Thirty-Eight | Eero

We were almost there. The bear had reached the road down by the port and we were almost back at the island. My fingers dug into the bear's fur as my hopes flared. When I thought of Barron my heart hurt. Behind us, there's a loud noise through the air—from the direction of Sky City. I flinch, and Cora's hands tighten around me. Fear plagues me and before I can contemplate what the hell just happened; the bear lets out a roar.

A gasp flies from my lips as we're both thrown off. My back slams into the cement curb, my head slamming hard. I groan, pain lacing up my back and through my head. My eyes fly open as dizziness swarms me, and I struggle to focus. There's two of everything, the world is blurred and distorted. My ears ring.

The bear stalks Cora who is having her own struggle to get to her feet. I groan, rolling onto my hands and knees and push with every ounce of my strength. The bear is out of control, and I don't want to think about what that means for Barron. I shut my eyes and force away tears before looking over to Cora. Her hands are out in front of her but she's not afraid. Cautious for sure, but not afraid. She's damn stronger than me.

My fear hammers loudly in my ears.

"Hey!" I scream, my eyes searching wildly for anything to use as a weapon before I find a rock, and I throw it at the bear. "Cora run! Get to the port!"

If we can get to the water, we'll be safe. Her eyes flicker to me and she nods before taking off. The bear pauses, it's massive head swinging around to stare at me and for a moment we both pause. As if we've been tossed out of the laws of nature for so long that neither one of us can remember how the rules of predator and prey are supposed to work.

The undead bear remembers first. It lets out a noise that I can only describe as a primal, raw sound of pure carnage before it's charging towards me, blood and saliva flying from it's bared teeth. I let out a gasp and I'm sure I'd piss myself if I had any idea how my body functions, but I can't even remember how to breathe. My entire body has frozen.

"Move Eero. Move!" Rose's voice echoes in my mind and I'm flooded with joy. It'd been so long since I heard her haunting me. If this is the moment I die, then so be it. I shut my eyes and hold my breath. At least Cora got away. That's all I can be grateful for.

"Move!"

My eyes snap open as something barrels into me but it's not the bear who has charged past the spot I stood and slammed into a car. I hit the ground again, and this time, all my senses come slamming back into me. My eyes widen and I let out a scream as I look at the monster that's on top of me.

Long auburn locks. Pale skin. Black veins. No eyes.

Persephone has escaped hell.

"G-get off of me!" I scream, struggling.

She slides off of me and frowns. "You're not very polite."

"A-are you kidding me?" I gasp, raising my fists ready to throw hands if I need to, "What are you doing? Why are you following me? What do you want?"

Before she can answer, the bear has feed itself from the car and has moved it's attention back to us. My eyes widen. Fuck. Of course, it won't go after her, she's infected. My anger boils in my veins and I realize now I'll have to fight two fucking monsters and I'd rather take the bear. I press my finger to my chest and try to calculate a way to survive.

Or at least buy Cora enough time to get to the island.

"You should go little sister," she hums.