Eleven |

Eleven |

            We had been walking for a while, long enough that the sun was out, basking the road we walked along in heat. Despite it being Spring, the heat had me sweating through my jacket and pants. I could feel the weight of quite literally the sun blasting down at me and it was sucking out my soul. I breathed, wiping the sweat off my brow bone before dragging my gaze over to Valen. His wolf—Flash was panting but otherwise unfazed by the heat while Valen was still practically skipping like an idiot. I didn't understand it, I couldn't believe this man was so unfazed by the heat and general rules of nature like stamina.

            "Slow down," I snarled, growing tired of him.

            He grinned back at me, "Or you should speed up pancake."

            My brow twitched with the unrelenting urge to kill him, "Come here. I just want to tell you something. A secret. It's super secret."

            He looked at me curiously, stopping his pace, "Really? What about?"

            I urged him closer with my fingers, "A secret."

            "Tell me from there," he replied, frowning.

            "I can't, someone might hear."

            "Like who?"

            "Zombies Valen. Zombies might hear this secret."

            He nodded, believing me, "Alright."

            As soon as he walked over, I had a mere second to realize he really was that fucking stupid. A strangled laugh flew from my lips as I lunged at him, knocking the both of us to the ground. He let out a yelp as I straddled him, shoving the neck of his sweater across his jugular, choking him. He gasped, wiggling underneath me and pure excitement filled my bones.

            "Call me pancake one more fucking time!" I snarled, laughing manically.

            He gasped, digging his fingers into my hips before bucking me. I let out a shriek as he threw me over his head. I went head first into the ground, my backpack like a weight. I rolled because of the momentum before getting stuck on my back like a goddamn turtle.

            "Pan-ca-ake," he pronounced slowly, standing over me.

            I reached for him wildly, my fingers like claws, "Fuck you!"

            "You wish islander!" he cackled, skipping away again.

            I muttered, flipping myself onto my front before pushing myself up. Even as dumb as bricks he still managed to overthrow me. All I could do now was shoot daggers into his back with my eyes and reassure myself that one day I'd fucking kill him. I was a pent up bundle of pure rage and unresolved trauma, my sanity was like walking on a tightrope of glass while juggling venomous snakes. He was damn lucky I was smaller than him, otherwise he'd be dead by now. Dead and buried.

            These feelings were only hyphened when he randomly stopped walking, causing me to smash my face into his backpack. A string of curses that would have my mom disowning me flew from my mouth as I took a step back, rubbing my nose that stung.

            "What are you doing?" I hissed.

            He pointed up the path, "We're here dummy."

            I looked past him, sure enough a few feet up the road was a large metal gate with two guards at the front, much like Wolf Cove. The main difference however, was these two guards were dressed in military camo and held large rifles. I reared back slightly. A small pang of fear filled me—I had never been around such a military presents, of course the island had their own guards and such, but these two were just pure authority and it was terrifying.