Thirty-Two | Eero

Thirty-Two | Eero    

Sometimes it's hard to return to something after a while. I know that. I know it's hard to recognize what you once saw from a certain perspective when you've moved onto a new perspective. Which is why it was so hard to explain the settlements to Cora. I didn't know much about them as a whole to begin with—I had grown up on the island all my life. I knew what Father Antonio taught us and nothing more. Now that I knew more, it was hard to see my previous knowledge in the same way.

"What about the Mountain Men?" she asked me.

I paused to look at her. It was strange. Her light brown locks were greasy and dull, those grey eyes full of exhaust and yet she still asked questions about the settlements. It had begun when we left the others and it hadn't stopped. Although, I'm sure my own brown locks were equally greasy and my red eyes exhausted. 

I said nothing for a moment, my eyes looking back up the mountain. From what I knew, there was a specific trail that led to a bridge that led to the mountain town. According to the good Father, it had been built around an old temple and became a base after the end because zombies could not climb very well. Really, that was all I knew of the actual settlement and I knew less about their leader Reia. She was an old woman who rarely came to the island and I hadn't had a handful of words with her.

"I'm not sure," I admitted, moving up the trail.

She followed after me, "What do you mean?"

"From what I know," I huffed, "She keeps to herself and runs the Mountain with a firm hand. She's scary. And grumpy. Her mindset is for the mountain. A one-track mind."

Cora nodded her head, "She reminds me of Helen then. A selfish woman."

I shrugged my shoulders. It seemed like Cora didn't think much of the settlement leaders and I didn't really want to get into it. How could I agree when my mom was one of them? But then, how could I disagree when I knew very well what that mindset cost.

It cost Rose and others.

"I think it's complicated," I said softly.

Damn it. Maybe I was just selfish too. Even after all that's happened, I still defended Mom and all the settlements but maybe that was for a reason. I rubbed my eye with confusion. I was too fucking tired to think of anything.

"No more questions," I grunted.

Cora nodded her head, "Alright."

We walked in silence after that. Our shoes dragging slowly up the trail in the heat. I felt disgusting. My body was slick with sweat and dirt, and my bones ached. I didn't know how anyone could make these stupid fucking trips and stay sane. Thankfully, just as we reached a smooth path, I paused. The sound of water tickled at my ears, and as I squinted in front of me, I realized we had made it to the bridge.

"Look!" I gasped with delight, "Thank god!"

"Why would I thank god?" she grunted.

My eyes rolled, "Come on!"

I hurried forward, dragging my sore legs. As I reached the bridge, I grasped the rope railing before looking down. Below a few ten feet was a river that seemed to go on and on back down the mountain. I shook my head to free myself of the dizziness that clung to my mind and I looked at the other side of the mountain for a brief moment.

I wasn't so sure this was safe.

But I could see the famous glowing cave on the other side which was the entrance of the town and I couldn't see any other bridges nor entrances. Still, I couldn't quite will my legs to move for some reason.  

"What are you waiting for?" Cora asked before moving fearlessly across the bridge.

I cussed loudly, "Yeah. Ok."

Saying a silent prayer, I then followed after her.

The bridge swayed slightly and I held onto the railing with a death grip until my feet safely made it to the other side. My weak knees gave out as I stumbled forward, a sudden grin on my face. Holy shit. I could eat the glowing mushrooms I was so happy.

"Fuck that bridge," I giggled, spinning to face her.

Her eyes, however, were not on me. But past me.

Click.

My heart skipped a beat.

"Who are you?" a deep voice demanded.

My eyes widened, and I rose my hands carefully, and slowly. As I turned, I viewed the older Asian man with longish black locks. He wore a leather coat and at his feet was a small dog that wagged its tail happily.

A bit out of pocket for the pup.

"Red eyes," he sighed heavily before lowering the gun, "You Mira's kid?"

I tilted my head slightly, "Whose asking?"

He replied, holstering his gun, "Barron River."

"Well Barron River," I repeated with a frown, "I don't know who the fuck you are but you are not Reia so you can step aside."

His lips twitched with a ghost smile, "Alright little lady. You go on ahead."

I smirked as I passedhim—that was easier than I thought.