Thirteen |

Thirteen |

Jax and Erinna were back from the island, which meant trouble. Even if my parents didn't tell them I had left the island, there was no denying that Jax knew who I was and what I looked like. He'd question why I wasn't at the island and he'd force me back.

I couldn't go back yet, not until I got to that wall.

"Cerci," I said, turning to her and inelegantly wiping vomit from the corner of my mouth, "We need to cut this tour short, I need to leave."

She looked confused, "Yeah the farm is this way—"

I shook my head, "Is there any other exit?"

"Ladies," Valen spoke as rushed as I felt, "Jax left the tent and is heading over this way. Cerci, babes, we gotta get going."

"Arrow, Valen" she said slowly, her eyes wide, "Are you in some kind of trouble?"

"I-I can't explain it," I whispered, "Please."

There was no hesitation on her face, that's the moment I knew she was too kind for her own good. She nodded her head, grabbing my hand and we began running. Down the road and towards the farm. A strangled giggle slipped from my lips as we ran. It must had looked strange, two women, a man and a dire wolf all running at top speed down the road. When we reached the farm, I doubled over, sucking air into my lungs desperately.

"I'll ask Anne for a horse right now," she said quickly before running off.

I looked behind us, down the road. Valen patted Flash's head and I couldn't shake the horrible feeling of dread that sat in my stomach like iron. I looked around, in the distance I spotted a river and a water wheel.

"Valen," I whispered to him, "Is there another exit?"

He shook his head.

"Maybe we can distract Jax?" I said, panic filling my stomach, "If he catches me, I'll be shipped back to the island and Mo-Mira will fucking jail me forever. Like maybe if we start a fire or something—"

Valen's eyes widened, his gaze shifting past my shoulder at something behind me. I spun on my heels. Standing behind me, smoking a cigarette was an older man. He wore leather work gloves, dark pants and a unlaced white shirt. His dark brown locks came in with grey tips which matched his careful, silver eyes. I took a small step back, closer to Valen. The man was a good few feet away—there was no way he could have possibly heard me and yet, there was something in his eyes. Recognition.

"Leon," Valen said slowly, softly.

I glanced at him, there was no way the man: Leon, could possibly hear him.

"Well now Val, what shit have you dragged yourself into this time?" the man drawled out, his eyes shifting to me, "And why's that girl talking about starting fires and being jailed by Mira Brooks?"

I swallowed a lump in my throat, this man knew mom? Of course, he did, it was just my luck, and just my big mouth. It would come down to a fight, and I wouldn't hold back. I tensed my body, if I had to, I would have this man flat on his back.

"Because she's an idiot," Valen replied slowly, "She didn't mean anything."

Leon's eyebrow arched, "No? Then why's she getting ready to deck me?"

My eyes widened, how did he notice?

"Because she's an idiot," Valen repeated, clenching his jaw.

"Is that so?" the man sounded amused!

That pissed me off.

"Why don't you go back inside?" I demanded, "And stop eavesdropping."

"Can't help it," he replied, taking a long drag of his cigarette, "It's my superpower."

"That's a shitty power," I muttered under my breath.

His smirk told me he did very much hear me. How?

"Just let it go Leon," Valen pleaded—it was strange, Valen was not the pleading sort, "Just this once. Let this go."

I didn't imagine Valen would care this much about me, or maybe he just cared more about following his Dad's orders but he had followed them. I didn't understand his purpose for wanting to help me so much, but I didn't want him getting involved. I didn't need someone who was begging for daddy's attention slowing me down or dying because of me.

"Stay out of it Valen," I snapped.

"I'm trying to help you," he snarled, "Stop being a bitch."

"Help me? Please, you haven't helped me yet. All you've done is give me a fucking headache. I don't need you grinding up my ass just so Alpha is actually proud of you for once."

I felt it as soon as the words left my mouth. It stung, and I hated the way his eyes grew wide and his face dropped. He tried to hide it, but it was clear I had hurt him. Valen wasn't a bad guy, on the island I'd even be friends with him. He clearly was as damaged as me or Idris or even Ben and I think that would have bonded us.

But I wasn't on the island.

I was on the fucking run.

"You know," he laughed humorously, "You're really a fucking bitch."

He was right, he was so right and it still hurt.

"Enough," Leon cut in, tossing his cigarette onto the ground, "You've had your fun but it's over now. Come on kids, lets go get this sorted out with Jax."

I spun to face him, spitting towards him. The glob landing near his shoe.

"Hey man, fuck you," I snapped.

That was apparently the wrong thing to do.