foggy

chapter twenty nine•̩̩͙*ೃ

⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

𝐌𝐢𝐝 𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫, 𝟏𝟗𝟖𝟏

The covers were so cold. And so white. When my eyes fluttered open, it wasn't the fluorescent lights that almost blinded them, but the ghost-white comforter I was submitted in. As well as the pale sun, shining through the huge windows. 

I watched a red bird fly by the glass, And then my gaze darted to my older brother, fast asleep in a big, generic armchair. With a soft smile, I watched him snore, loudly. But the bitter absence of my own mother or father was becoming a little suffocating.

And with that, I don't remember anything but darkness, as my eyes shut, again.

A w𝘦𝘦𝘬 𝘭𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘳

Apparently, Winter Break was now upon Hawkins, according to mother. 

I don't remember shit, was the only thought ringing in my head as she drove me up to Hawkins Middle to pick up homework-- I guess to keep me from completely failing the eighth grade.

"How's your head?" She broke the ice. The ice she'd been oddly keen on keeping between us. 

"It's fine."

Or perhaps it was me keeping the ice. Whoever it was, no one was talking about it. Whatever the hell happened to me. I mean, I'd heard whispers of how I'd 'gone over the edge' but what does that even mean? The question was nagging me, but I was too scared to ask-- too scared of the answer. Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to, I could hear some internal, familiar voice saying.

I don't think the school looked any different, save for the glittery snowflakes decorating the rooftops, and the hideous Christmas blow-up snowmen. She parked in front of the school, heels making an obnoxious click as she stepped out of the car. The blast of winter air hit me like a brick going seventy an hour. It was bitter, and I tucked my nose under the neck of my sweater.

The halls of the school felt the same. Not sure about looked, but it had that homey aura I can scarcely remember. It was almost empty, and I almost expected a tumble weed to roll right through, like in the old western films Steve was obsessed with. Funny how picked-apart my memory was.

We rounded the corner of another lengthy corridor, and I followed my mother into an unfamiliar classroom, seemingly only inhabited by two people. A teacher at his desk, and-- I assume a student, sitting in the middle row of the desks, practically buried in a pile of papers.

The teacher abruptly stood and smiled. "The Harringtons! I was awaiting a status of your recovery, Miss Angelica. But it seems you're up and at it."

"Your concern is greatly appreciated, Mr. Clarke. And yes, Angelica has made amazing progress these few weeks." Blanche gave him a stiff grin, and brushed a stray piece of hair behind my ear.

"I was very saddened to hear of Miss Angelica's accident, and evidently, state of mind."

The grip on my arm suddenly tightened, as her lips parted to speak. "Yes. So was I."

Mr. Clarke shuffled through big filing cabinets, I assume to find assignments I'd missed-- or to find kindergarten worksheets incase I couldn't remember how to multiply or figure out what the hell exponents were. I looked over the classroom, nothing in particular ringing any bells. It was just a plain middle school science class. My eyes landed on the boy sitting a few rows back, who was previously buried in work-- and was now staring right at me. The look on his face made me wince a little. He was a little familiar, but not enough so to unlock some lost, foreign part of my memory. It was obvious he must've known me, but Mr. Clarke placed a hefty stack of papers in my arms, causing my attention to shift away.

"Alrighty, here's the main stuff you missed. Shouldn't be too hard, and you can always pop back in to ask any questions you may have." Mr. Clarke gave me a sympathetic smile. "Don't worry too much about it."

I nodded, curtly, and looked down at the top page. The water cycle. Easy enough, I thought. But my eyes were pulled to a dark streak of skin, peaking out from the sleeve of my sweater.

omg, bro i've been struggling to get this chptr out, because of school coming up, and also my mental health just recently went into... shambles? idek but it's been hard to enjoy things i like (like writing) so please excuse the delay <3 anyhow, i may be able to get one more out (a major one, ya'll better buckle tf up) but after the next one, updates r gonna be hella slow because i've got to focus on work and my grades n shi, so yeah! i love ya'll sm, hope ya'll are doing well in school!