envious scowls

chapter twenty one•̩̩͙*ೃ

                                        ⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

𝐍𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫, 1981 — 𝙃𝙖𝙬𝙠𝙞𝙣𝙨 𝙃𝙞𝙜𝙝 𝙂𝙮𝙢𝙣𝙖𝙨𝙞𝙪𝙢

"Just remember not to trip and face plant into the gym floor." Eddie Munson threw his thumbs up, giving Angelica what he considered 'encouragement.'

She was looking past him, towards the rows upon rows of people that all seemed to be staring at her. He reached a hand out, and almost interlocked his fingers with hers-- before another arm had slithered right around her waist, causing Eddie's to recoil at the sight. It was all he could do to suppress the envious scowl taunting his lips.

"You'll be cheering me on from the sidelines, right, angel?" Jason Carver grinned, pulling the girl unnervingly close, so close that even she was trying not to scowl.

It was replaced-- quickly, however, with an innocent smile, as soon as she had caught a glimpse of her mother's cruel eyes, watching her every move. For the entirety of Angelica's freshman year, Blanche had been cozying up to jock's parents, slipping sly but flattering remarks of Angel's impressive cheerleading skills, and innocent beauty. The teen girl had seen the Carvers' cold, satisfied smiles whenever she had been in a five-foot radius of Jason. She'd narrow her gaze, snarling at the thought.

"Of course, otherwise all of that practice would've been in vain." 

She would have sent Eddie and apologetic smile, had he not already been walking away-- leaving her with the Tiger's basketball captain. With sad eyes, she watched him become engulfed by the crowd, slumping down on the bleachers. 

Alone, is what she was. Or at least it was the feeling that was now welling in her heart. It wasn't unfamiliar. Eddie never stuck around when Jason was present, and Angelica couldn't really blame him, no matter how much it pained her.

Jason laughed, kissed her on the apple of her cheek, and ran off towards his team. She never took her eyes off of her dark-haired boy.

⊱✩⊰

Forks scraping the bottom of plates and the clinking of ice against glass cups were the only sounds occupying the Harrington's dining room. 

Angelica was staring at the wall, utterly bored. She was usually the first one to finish, considering the ridiculously small portions her mother always insisted on her plate. The young girl's stomach grumbled.