tense discoveries

                                               chapter twenty four•̩̩͙*ೃ

                                      ⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

Despite the silence and rocking of the boat, the tension was loud. Blaring. Everyone waited for the sound of a gasp of air, any sign. It was almost nerve-gripping. But alas, Angelica patiently waited like she was told, biting her fingernails. She didn't care how many accomplishments Steve had as a Hawkins swim captain, or lifeguard, or whatever, none of those things would've mattered if his head never popped up from the depths. 

Angel leaned her arm over the edge of the boat, the water coursed around her fingertips-- it was like touching pure darkness, she could practically feel the gate and whatever maliciousness lurked through it. It was strong. Steve and her father, Mr. Harrington, had always joked about her having a 'sixth sense' when she'd win at Uno games. It made her feel special as a little girl, but if her sixth sense was wafting this dark source to her, it wasn't special, it was scary.

The hairs on her arm stood. Goosebumps.

"What're we at, Wheeler?" Robin broke, what felt like-- the never-ending silence.

"Closing in on a minute..."

Angelica curiously looked between the two, trying to read whatever emotion should've presented on their expressions to the fact that he'd been down there for a whole sixty seconds. "Is that good or bad?"

"I mean, it's impressive to some, but somewhat normal for your Hawkins life guard douche." Robin eyed her with slight confusion. "You don't go swimming often, do you, little Harrington?"

In response to suddenly being put on the spot, an embarrassed-heat crawled to her cheeks. "Well, sometimes... It just-- the chlorine doesn't mix well with my hair." She awkwardly laughed.

Eddie quietly snorted, leaning back on the boat's rim. 

"What? It does! My bangs get all flat." Angel shrugged.

He gave her a small, pursed smile. "I don't doubt it."

As if joyful human interactions were like poison to her, Nancy Wheeler cleared her throat. "Guys we should probably be focusing on making sure Steve doesn't drown."

The teen girl dragged her gaze over to the young woman, not necessarily holding back any dislike in her eyes. "Yes, ma'am. God forbid anyone try to lighten the mood."

"Sorry?" She tilted her head, like every single mother Angelica has seen. Angel just shrugged, again, childishly picking at her nails. Eddie glanced between the two, as if it was a tennis match, and Robin rolled her eyes.

"Okay, cut it-" The short haired teen couldn't get another word in until Steve came blasting through the water, earning many surprised gasps and curses from the teens in the rocking boat.

Angelica could breathe again. She carefully moved to the other side of the boat, next to Robin, smiling down at her older brother.

"I found it." He said, between gasps of air.

Robin quickly clicked the walkie-talkie on, to tell Dustin of the news. "Dustin, you're a goddamn Einstein. Steve found the gate."

The teen girl reached over and gave Steve a good smack over the head. "Good job."

"I missed you too, Ang." He rolled his eyes, swimming closer to the boat. "It was more of snack-size gate than the mama gate, but it's still-- pretty damn big."

Suddenly, Steve was thrashing, causing small waves to hit against the boat. It stopped. 

"What the fuck?" Angel frantically scanned the surface of the waters, for the cause of whatever the hell just happened.

Nancy screamed as Steve was pulled under. Into the dark abyss.

The teen girl plunged both of her hands through the surface of the water, reaching for any other hand. "What the fuck!?" 

"STEVE! STEVE!?"

---- 

cliffhangerrr ;) (pls excuse any typos, and as always luv yalllll, have a good night or day <3)