21: Getting There

Author's note: 

Thank you for everyone who commented in the last chapter and voted and read! I know this is really short and I apologize but there will be more coming up and I just wanted to give you all a new insight on Allie's search for her new life and stuff which includes her having to find a home and a place to stay. Okay, so I tried searching up some thing's on this chapter so if the information is wrong I'm sorry but this story is fiction afterall. Anyways! Here you go and hopefully a new chapter will be up like tomorrow? or sometime his week! 

-

The rest of the bus ride was uneventful I sat alone the whole entire time and hugged my backpack falling in and out of sleep but finally after a few long hours and restless bones, I found myself walking off the stuffy rectangle shaped vehicle onto the grounds of Albuquerque. I had about an hour and a half to spare and an idea came into my mind. Once I have reached my destination I will need to get a job and a place to live because $4000 plus won't last me a year. The cost of rent and down payment would be high and I also needed money to buy groceries, but then again I could always live on coupons for a bit.

The city bus terminal wasn’t as bad as the previous ones, there was a sign saying business lounge and it seemed like a reasonable place to go, so I thought, well why not? Thankfully the lounge had free computers and after waiting a few minutes I was able to get my hands on one. Realizing that the bus was going to reach San Francisco sooner or later I typed in ‘San Francisco newspaper’ in the search box and plenty of searches came up. I clicked on the San Francisco Gates and quickly went through the job listings as well as neighborhoods to find any places I would be able to stay in. Checking the time I had about forty-minutes left and so I quickly copied and pasted it all to a word document and printed it off. There were people sitting down and typing or watching things on their laptops, some people were sleeping as well and others were simply lounging. To anyone I might have looked like I just did something illegal or stolen but I needed to get this paper printed off so I could call and apply for a job as well as find a secure place to stay.

Finally the warm paper was securely in my hands and as I grabbed my things I made my way outside to the payphone. I took out some coins from the front zipper of my bag and called the first number on the list.

‘Assistance for Jefferson High School’ I waited as the call went through and the annoying beeping tone continued and after a few seconds a lady picked up the phone.      

“Hello?” came the scratchy reply.

“Hi, my name is Allie Carson and I’m calling to ask about the job opening?”

“Ah yes, where are you from?” I looked around my surroundings as I twirled the phone cord through my fingers.

“I’m from Albuquerque”

“What is the highest degree of education you have received?”

“I graduated from high school and am taking a gap year, so I was hoping if it was possible-“

“Uh, I’m sorry Ms. Carson but we prefer assistance from those who are older as we, the school don’t feel it is comfortable to hire other students, unless they are from college or has a higher degree in their education. I’m sorry but thank you for calling”

“No prob-“ Before I could say anything else, the lady had hung up and with a deflated heart I went onto the next number. I waited yet again for the tone and finally someone picked up, this time a man.

“Halo? Halo? You want to make the order?” Don’t call me racist but from the loud noise in the background and the pans hitting against each other, I knew the guy was Asian and if it wasn’t obvious enough from the restaurants name ‘Nian Nian You Yu”.

“Hi, I was calling to ask about the job offer? As…as a waitress?”

“No, no job-”

“But you put a advertisement in the newspaper?”

“No, no no” And then he sounded distant, yelling Chinese to someone before the phone clicked shut. I wanted to smash the payphone but I knew that I mustn’t lose hope.

I crossed out the two, entered some coins in the coin slot and called the next number on the list. This time the line picked up in a jiffy and I was surprised.

“Hello!” A lady.

“Hi there, I was calling about the job offer?”

“Yeah? What skills in washing do you have?” The lady smacked some gum.

“Uh, I know how to use the washing machine and dry clothes on a line?”

“Can you sew?” She countered me, sounding completely disinterested in any information I had just given her.

“Uh-no. but I can learn?”

“Sorry, I don’t think this would be the right place for you. It’s hard labor and you get five on the hour” Before I could tell her it was fine she hung up on me. How rude can these people get?! I mean I know they were busy but they were the ones who put the ad on newspaper. I punched in the next number and waited.

“Hello?” The sound of the sea crashing against the bay in the background was heard but the mans scruffy voice was loud enough to be heard.

“Hi, I’m calling to ask about the job opening?” And then a loud grumble of laughter was heard as I pulled the phone away from my ear.

“Um, I’m sorry?” I replied unsure.

“Well I’m sorry ma’am but you sound like a young lady what are ya’ doin’ lookin’ for a job at the bay?”

“I’m taking a gap year before I go off to college, so I was hoping to be near the ocean if it is possible?” Another bout of laughter could be heard.

“Well, if you hadn’t read the description we’re looking for male cooks and people who can carry heavy loads, I don’t know if you’re up for that”

 “Trust me sir, I’ll be able to do all that. I used to cook for my family all the time” Hearing the desperation in my voice the man finally relented.

“I’ll tell you what, you come down here to the bay and ill see to it I can find a job for you alright?” My mouth gaped in surprise and I literally jumped for joy.

“Thank you! Thank you so much sir, I’ll be in San Francisco in a few days and I’ll be there as soon as possible. I am Allie Carson”

“Nice to talk you, Allie, once you get to the bay just ask for Clive and we’ll talk about pay once you get ere’”

“Okay, okay, thank you so much”

“Alright, see you soon sweetheart” And with that he hung up and I felt a thousand times more happier. I looked at my watch and my eyes nearly popped out from its place. I had ten minutes to board the bus or it would leave without me and just like that I grabbed all my things and rushed to the bus.