10: POV Reece (Realization)

I sat there with Bradley after my dad had scolded the both of us. The grass was wet with dew but I didn't care. I plucked some grass and started throwing it around, how could my life get so confusing and painful in a blink of an eye... Brody was right, we should have protected her, we shouldn't have stayed on our high horses and looked down upon her. I was Allie's brother, I should have helped her. I hadn't apologized to Brad, and he hadn't apologized to me. It didn't matter though, I just wanted Allie to come home. I want her to come home safely, and this time I would protect her with all I had. 

My tugging on the roots have became more aggressive and both my hands were balled up in fists. Suddenly I just didn't care about anything anymore. I just cared about Allie. I couldn't even care that I had a gash on my forehead with blood dripping out of it, it hurt. Brad delivered a pretty good punch, maybe that was how Allie felt. She wasn't getting punches physcially but verbally and emotionally. I understood that she didn't want to be found, I understood that she was hurt, I understood that she was dying inside because of the things Brody and I have said, and the things we haven't done for her. But I just wanted her to come home. Allie just come home. 

"Why don't you stop being such a fucking bitch about it?" I yelled at her. Allie stood her ground. She looked scared but she was doing damn well at trying to cover it up.

"Why Reece? You don't even care about me, just leave me alone okay?" She pleaded, her back already turned as she began to head into her room. 

"Don't turn your back on me when I'm talking to you! When I tell you to do something for me, you do it! I specifically remember asking you to fix the damned printer"

"Don't be a drama queen Reece, go fix it yourself. I'm so tired of you ordering me around" That got me even more mad, and I stalked towards her as she cowered away. Brody just came out of his room and I heard him chuckle. I turned around to see that he was holding a bowl of cereal and was eating it rather loudly. 

"See, that's your fucking problem. You're such an ungrateful little shit. You can't do shit for people, that's why you don't have any friends. You're too fucking selfish! I asked you to do a small and simple task yet-"

"Look, I'm really busy with school work, please, leave me alone. All you have to do is lift the latch-"  

"Then fucking do it!" Our parents weren't home at the moment, mom was out grocery shopping and dad was still at work. I towered over her and she began to shake, I frowned at her odd reaction but she had put her head down and unsteadily clutched onto the wall, she took a few deep breaths before thudding onto the floor and drawing her knees closer to her as she hugged them. The doorbell rang at that moment and Brody quipped that he would go get it. I turned my attention back to my pathetic sister. 

"You're so pathetic, you're useless, and the world would be so much better without you! All you think about is yourself, cooped up in that small fucking room of yours. Next time I tell you to do something, you fucking do it! This is why no one stands up for you!" Allie's breathing became ragged and I stared at her, just then Brody and Bradley scrambled up the stairs. Brad had immediately gone to Allie's side and glared at me. He bent down so he was the same height as her and began consoling her. Once she saw him and realized that Brad was by her side she clung onto him like her life depended on it and he helped her get inside her room, slamming the door behind them.

Brody and I looked at eachother in shock but our curiosity got the best of us, we leaned our ears against the door and heard Allie's sobs. She was repeating several words, and my mind had told me I had done something terribly wrong. 

"I'll do it"

"Please, stop yelling, I promise. I'll be good, I won't be selfish"