5) Brewing love

"Snape's going to get so mad at us! I heard from Fred that he's very strict and can't stand students ending up late to his class. It's already 10 minutes past since it started! We're in trouble...." Ron Weasley says, as Harry and Hermione follow along.

"I saw him in the welcome ceremony. And I have to say, he didn't smile once. He had a blank expression fixed on his face, and he mostly just nodded as a response to Dumbledore. All in all, I think he's the scariest professor at Hogwarts." Hermione says, looking terrified.

"You can't judge when it's just day 2. Let's give it some time, maybe he's a great teacher!" Harry says, looking confident.

"Don't go looking so confident Harry, he might try to bring you down by asking you difficult questions. If anything, I'll mouth the answers to you, I've read every potions chapter that's there in this book," she taps a big fat book, that reads "Advanced Potion Making".

Ron groans and Harry rolls his eyes.

"Here we go...." Ron says nervously, as they approach the dark room of the potions class.

As they enter the room, they find Professor Snape at his desk, flipping through the pages and asking students some questions. He stops once he looks at the trio, raising his eyebrows. He fishes out a pocket watch from his pockets, and looks at it.

"11 minutes late."
He says, in a voice that would send shivers down anyone's spine.

"We got lost, sir. We had to go round in circles until we eventually found the dungeons." Hermione says, looking at Snape.

"Well then, that settles everything, doesn't it, Miss Granger?" He says, a tone of sarcasm in his voice, but not a funny tone.

Hermione gulps.

"Since it's your first day, I'll let it slide. Now, Mr. Potter and Mr. Weasley, go take your places beside Mr. Finnigan and Mr. Longbottom. And as for you, Miss Granger,"

Snape pauses.

He points towards an empty seat.

"There. Go and sit beside Mr. Malfoy. There's a free space, so you should be quite comfortable," Snape says.

Hermione looks uncomfortably at Draco's seat. She hesitates, but eventually walks towards the seat reluctantly.

She quietly sits beside Draco, who stares at her.

"Hullo," he whispers to Hermione, smiling.

"Hey," Hermione whispers, not looking at him.

"Looks like my lessons paid off on the field the other day. How did you do that?" Draco whispers to her.

"Do what?" Hermione whispers back.

"Fly like that, I mean, it didn't look like it was your first time on the broom," Draco says.

"Well, believe it or not, it was." Hermione says, concentrating on what Snape is saying.

Draco looks at Snape as well.

"Well sir, why is it called 'the draught of the living death' when an infusion of wormwood is mixed with powdered root of asphodel?" Hermione asks Professor Snape.

Draco raises an eyebrow.

Snape looks at Hermione, arms folded

"It is supposed to send the drinker into a deathlike sleep. Hence the name. It's an extremely powerful sleeping potion, Miss Granger, so I suggest you make notes as I discuss more, and as we dig deeper into the topic." Snape explains, writing the components on the board.

Everyone starts copying off the board and into their books. Hermione copies it too, extra carefully, placing the points neatly and highlighting the important components.

Draco, beside her, doesn't bother to even lift a pen. Hermione stops writing and looks at Draco.

"Why aren't you copying this down? This stuff is pretty important you know?" Hermione says, looking surprised.

"Give me one scenario where I'll use such a strong potion on someone when I grow up, and I'll copy these notes down. Off you though, Snape's handwriting is too squibbly, almost non understandable." Draco says, looking at Hermione directly.

"I wouldn't know, Draco. I don't know you so well, but I do know that it could be pretty useful for the final term." Hermione says.

"I'll give it to Crabbe, he might write down my notes," He says, tapping his fingers on the bench.

"Hey!" Hermione hisses, looking nervously at Snape.

"I can't help it, I have a really bad habit of drumming my fingers." Draco says.

"I'll keep that in mind," Hermione says, looking amused.

Snape slowly turns around.

"Mr. Malfoy and Miss Granger, quiet! There'll be no such talking and interruptions during my class," He yells.

"And that's how you get into trouble, learn from me Granger," Draco says, smirking at Hermione.

Hermione rolls her eyes, but smiles nonetheless.