32.

____

THIRTY-TWO:
RUMORS AND WHISPERS

    The next morning whispers followed the group wherever they went. Most of them were about Harry being the heir of Slytherin, but the girl had heard a few the claimed her, Ron, and Hermione were all working for him.

    It was ridiculous.

    Unfortunately the three couldn't do much to stop the rumors other then tell the person off.

    Even in a quiet place like the library, the silence was stifling. Stares would dig into Harrys back when he was turned, fingers would point, and whispers would sound.

    Elsie stared down at her muggle crossword, not actually reading it. Her fingers played with her mothers gold locket as she tried to ignore the stares their table was getting.

    Harry finally having had enough stood, "I'll see you in Transfiguration." Then he left.

    Elsie shared a glance with Hermione and Ron. They all felt bad for their friend, and Elsie personally didn't believe for a second that Harry was behind the attacks. It just didn't add up.

    Next to her Ginny was scribbling in a black notebook, protectively covering her words with her arm.

    Since Colins attack she had grown even more miserable, jumping at every sudden sound, crying herself to sleep. The only thing that brought her peace was listening to music off of Elsie's speaker, but even that only brought minimal joy.

    Suddenly a bell sounded signaling the next round of classes. Elsie sighed and packed up her books. She didn't know how she was expected to sit in Transfiguration as if nothing was wrong.

    "You don't think Harry's the heir of Slytherin, right?" Ron questioned as they walked to the class.

    "No." Elsie said immediately. "That makes no sense. Harry obviously doesn't care about blood status since he's friends with me and Hermione, not to mention he's a Gryffindor."

    The other two didn't speak after that, considering the girls words.

    When they arrived to Transfiguration they were surprised to see McGonagall absent. "Do you know where the professor is Morgan?" Elsie questioned, sitting beside the dark haired girl.

    "No. But I expect she's just running late." The girl stated.

    Fortunately at that exact second the woman came rushing in, looking frazzled.

    "Where's Harry?" Hermione whispered to her and Ron.

    "Getting expelled I bet," Dean Thomas joined in their conversation.

    When he was only met with questioning stares he looked surprised, "Didn't you hear? There's been two more attacks, Nearly Headless Nick, and Justin Finch-Fletchley, and Harry was found at the scene,"

*    *    *

    As it turns out Harry had not been expelled. When he had returned to the common room that evening he wasted no time explaining how he had stumbled upon the petrified bodies.