23.

____

TWENTY-THREE:
GREEN FLAMES

    The drive back to the Burrow was filled with conversations of summer. Elsie had been furious to find out that Harry had been forcibly restrained from contacting any of his friends. Those pathetic guardians better count their blessings and pray they never would have to receive the wrath of the four children.

But the more interesting conversation point was Harrys encounter with the house elf Dobby. According to the creature Harry couldn't return to Hogwarts because something dangerous was going to happen.

What else was new?

When they finally landed the sun was just beginning to poke out from the horizon, casting a warm glow over the wooden home, making it looked even more cozy than usual.

As soon as the car was turned off the five silently climbed out. Harry released Hedwig from her cage, finally allowing the beautiful bird to fly free, they left the rest of his trunks in the car to get later.

They crept up to the front door, momentarily pausing while Fred reached through an open window to unlock it. The redhead checked to ensure that the coast was clear before beckoning them inside, "Come on!" He hissed.

Elsie followed the others inside, instantly being greeted with the smell of sausage and pancakes. Her stomach gave a low growl, "Do you think mum would mind if we had some of this?" Ron questioned picking up a sausage.

George gave a half smile, "Yeah mum would never know,"

Behind them Harry was turning in a slow circle, clearly admiring the house and all of its unique features.

"Its not much, but its home." Ron swallowed before going in for more food.

"I think its brilliant," Harry stated slowly, Ron looked up with a bright red face.

"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN!" Mrs. Weasley exploded, thundering down the stairs.

Ron, Fred, and George jumped at the clatter and promptly hid the stolen food behind their backs. Mrs. Weasley paused her rage to momentarily look at Elsie and Harry. "Elsie, Harry, how wonderful to see you, dears."

Elsie felt a surge of guilt float through her stomach. Mrs. Weasley was letting her stay with them and this was how she had re-payed the family? By jumping out a window and staling a car in the middle of the night?

But as she remembered the steel bars on Harrys window, and the horrific aunt and uncle she felt a bit more eased. If Harry had stayed there any longer who knows what they would have done.

Mrs. Weasley turned back to her sons, eyes darkening once more, "Beds empty! No note! Car gone! You could've died! You could've been seen!"

She faced Elsie and Harry again. "Of course, I don't blame you two."

"They were starving him, Mum! There were bars on his window!" Ron spoke up defensively.

"Well, you'd best hope that I don't put bars on your window, Ronald Weasley!" Mrs. Weasley shot before turning to Harry.

"Come along now, time for a spot of breakfast."