8.

____

EIGHT:
AN UGLY INTRUDER

    The next morning Elsie woke up early once again. She didn't mean to do it, it was just her bodies natural instinct. Sometimes she loathed it.

    After tossing and turning for a while the girl decided to get up and do some reading. She got dressed in her uniform and set off for the common room, hoping she might run into Fred and George again, that way she would at least be entertained.

    Instead she saw Harry making his way into the common room. "Well you're up early," Elsie greeted causing the boy to jump.

    "Wood wanted to teach me some Quidditch stuff," Harry grinned when he saw her.

    Elsie plopped down onto the sofa and pulled out her book. "When's your first game?" She asked as Harry joined her.

    "A bit after Halloween I think. You gonna go?" He asked.

    "Of course, I would never miss a chance to watch people fly around on broomsticks!" Elsie laughed.

    At that moment most of the Gryffindors thundered down the stairs and headed off to breakfast. Ron came out from behind them, "There you are Harry! Come on I'm starving," The boy groaned following the group out of the portrait.

* * *

    After breakfast Elsie walked to Charms. She was nervous for this lesson, preforming magic was difficult enough without a professor watching. The girl was glad she had her first tutoring session tonight.

    She walked in and took a seat next to Harry. She had made it just in time luckily, Flitwick walked in and stood on a stack of books so he could see the students.

    "One of a wizard's most rudimentary skills is levitation the ability to make objects fly. Uh, do you all have your feathers?" The professor asked. Elsie looked in front of her to see her own white feather before her.

    "Good now, the wrist movement is as such, swish and flick! Now you!" He smiled. Elsie picked up her wand and copied his motion, "Swish and flick," She murmured.

    "Good. And enunciate. Wingardium Leviosa. Off you go then." Flitwick waved them off to work on their own.

    Elsie stared her feather down and stuck out her wand, "Wingardium Leviosa," She spoke. She felt disappointed when nothing happened.

    "Wingardium Leviosa," Harry tried, Elsie felt slightly better when his didn't work as well.

    "Wingardium Leviosa," Ron waved his wand harshly causing Hermione to flinch and scowl.

    "Stop, stop. You're going to take somebody's eye out." She shook her head, "Besides you're saying it wrong, its Levi-o-sa, not Levio-sa."

    Ron scowled, "You do it then if your so clever. Go on,"

    Hermione straighter and held out her wand. "Wingardium Leviosa." She spoke clearly and waved her wand in the correct motion. But unlike everyone else's, her feather actually began to rise high above everyone's heads causing them all to turn and stare in astonishment.

    "Well done! See here Miss Grangers done it!" Flitwick beamed. Ron turned away from a smug Hermione and scowled.

    In front of Elsie and Harry, Seamus was waving his wand in the incorrect motion, but before Elsie could say anything a loud explosion was heard.

    When the smoke cleared up Seamus was blackened with soot and his hair was smoking.

    "I think we're going to need a new feather Professor." Harry said in surprise.