Chapter 8

Round 3 was in Australia and due to the nice weather, Rue and I decided to go a week early.
The weather was gorgeous and in between team meetings and training sessions we managed to sneak in a few beach sessions and boat trips out.

I was still yet to get a blue tick on Instagram or Twitter but I still held hopes I would get one soon

Thursday came and I headed to the paddock for media day. This race was being hosted by f1 Junior as well as the normal broadcasters and I was excited for the entertainment they would bring - children didn't hold back.

I was in the last group on the sofa along with Esteban, Kevin, Daniel and Charles. We got through the main interview quickly and I was asked a few questions that really bugged me. I always got questions that I knew they would never ask the male drivers like "What do you wear under your driving suit" and "Which driver do you find the most attractive" which I hated and usually deflected by asking whoever sat next to me the same question to make clear how ridiculous I thought it was. Esteban was my culprit today and when I asked him who I thought was the most attractive he said "Charles". That bugged me. I love you Estie but you could've literally answered anyone else.

Then the questions were passed on to the journalists on the floor and I wasn't asked many. Danny was asked the most- he was a fan favourite driver which was no surprise as he was a Ray of sunshine.

The question was then passed onto the kids.
"Edom?" one of the kids -a girl- asked "what would you to say to a young you right now if you could?"

Not the children being the ones to ask the genuinely good and mature questions I thought to myself with an internal chuckle.

"That's a great question" I smiled at the young reporter, "I would tell little Edom to keep persevering and all her hard work will pay off. I'd tell her not to let anyone else's opinion matter, especially if the opinion is gender related and to focus on herself".

"Thanks so much Edom" she beamed at me "You're an inspiration to woman across the world" I beamed back. Comments/compliments like that reminded me why I needed to keep going even when it got tough, even when my car had crazy oversteer with little speed, even when the media tour me down for being a woman in motorsport.

The next few questions were directed towards the others and eventually we got to the last question. The boy looked especially young in comparison to the other kid interviewers and he looked pretty nervous. When he first opened his mouth to ask his question he stuttered and stopped. We locked eyes and I tried to give him a "keep going, go on" smile and I think he got the message as he then managed to get his question out...

"Do you guys ever get bored of Max always winning? Like do you ever consider ganging up on Max so he doesn't win for once?"
We all burst out laughing and I grabbed my mike and stopped giggling to say
"You know what, that's not a half bad idea. I'll take one for the team this week and crash into him,"
Everyone started laughing harder and Daniel managed to get out
"I'll take Azerbaijan!"

After that, the interview ended and we all trailed out. I got sidetracked by a security guard at the door telling me how much she admired me and my efforts which was really sweet then I continued into a corridor that connected to many different corridors, one of which would take me out to the paddocks. I turned into it and  saw Max halfway down. I walked up to him

"Hey Ma-" before I could finished he had my back pressed up against the stone wall, my head slightly banging into the wall due to the force he pushed me. His face was a couple inches from mine and he wore a smirk on his face.

"Planning on crashing into me I heard" he said softly, his handing stroking up my neck and onto the base of my chin, turning my head up to be closer his. I was so flustered I couldn't even reply; his lips were so close they were all I could focus on. I slightly leaned towards them, my mouth slightly open. I wasn't sure if I wanted to kiss him but something else seemed to have taken control of me. He slightly leaned back, his devious grin spreading across his face.

"I drive like i fuck" he smirked "Rough." He paused and watched me for a second before continuing.
"If you even try ruin me on track, I will ruin you so you can't even walk for the next race," He ran a thumb over my lips.

"Okay" was all I could say. He let go of my face and walked off. I stayed against the wall, breathing heavily and trying to figure out how I felt.

Charles' POV

I stayed back after the interview to talk to the guy on the sofa who had interviewed us.
"Hey Charles" he grinned at me. "What's up"

"I want you to stop asking stupid questions to Edom or I'll get you fired from this job and unable to be hired by anyone else" I said with venom

"Woah Charles" he chuckled, but I could sense the nerves in it. "What are you on about mate?"

"1. I'm not your mate. 2,Edom is a professional driver like the rest of us so stop asking her unprofessional questions."  His eyes widened as he realised what I was referencing. "Those kids out there did a better job than you" I emphasised the word kids.

"I'm so sorry Charles. I didn't realise it would be so serious"

"Don't apologise to me. Apologise to her and all the other females who now feel like they can't be taken seriously in their job." With that, I turned and walked out, trying to cool myself down.

I turned into the corridor leading to the paddocks and was met with Max pushing Edom against a wall, his face inches from hers. He must've thought all the drivers had left. I stood silently and watched as neither had seen me.

I saw him say something to her although I couldn't hear what and I watched as she leaned closer to him, only for him to tease her by pulling away slightly and saying something else.

A burning jealously coursed through me. I wasn't sure why but I hated seeing Max having such power over Edom like that, touching her like that. It felt like it wasn't even much about Max in general, just that I wasn't the one who was doing it. I hated the feeling, jealously wasn't something I normally felt with girls. To be honest, Edom had made me feeling ways I never had around girls. I hated her but I didn't. I wanted to hate her for the way she made me feel. I knew she definitely hated me after the party in Saudi where I said her dress didn't suit her. I hadn't meant to say it out loud but when I realised I was speaking my thoughts I managed to stop myself before I finished the rest of the sentence... "it would suit my bedroom floor better".

Edom slightly nodded at whatever Max said before he left her standing against the wall. She looked dazed. I walked over.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oop... getting heated and what's going on with Charles?! Sorry to leave on a cliff hanger, couldn't help myself ;)
I hoped you guys enjoyed his POV, and I hope to include more in coming chapters!
LMK your guys' thought xx