CHAPTER 5: WHAT COULD IT BE?

PARIS

Caroline and Stefan were walking through the streets of Paris, they had finally fed. "this is beautiful. I wish we had come here under different circumstances..." "I mean, I wish I had come here, you know, alone..." Caroline tried to clarify. "it's okay, Care, I get what you mean" Stefan said smiling at her. 

"For your information, I wouldn't have any problem coming here with you. Under different circumstances, of course" he said. That seemed to put her at ease. They both kept walking, falling under a comfortable silence and just enjoying the scenery. Stefan had been here decades ago, but being here with someone made the experience a bit... different.

"Hey, Matt says he has a lead" Caroline said, a bit confused looking at the text she just received. "Really, what does it say?" asked Stefan. "it's an address, and he says to come quickly" now looking at him. "Well then, I guess we better be on our way" he said looking into Caroline's screen. they then sped to the location, not wanting to keep Matt waiting.

Both vampires came to a stop in front of a busy looking bar, Matt was already standing by the entrance waiting for them. They had no idea that Rebecca was with him, so they approached him normally. "Hey, we came as fast as we could" Stefan said. "Yeah, what is the lead you mentioned" this time Caroline enquired. 

"Oh, come on blondie, you must know that patience is a virtue" came Rebecca's voice, she had stepped out for a snack. A chill went through the younger vampires' spines, sensing danger. Stefan was already looking for an exit plan for all of them, especially Matt.

"Okay guys, I know how this looks like, but please calm down" Matt said as Rebecca approached him and stood by his side. "What it looks like, is you called us here to meet Barbie Klaus, putting us in danger" Caroline snapped. Rebecca just rolled her eyes, already bored by this conversation. Stefan took the opportunity to observe her, he then knew she wasn't a threat, at least for the time being. 

"what's going on?" he asked. "Well, Donovan here told me about the unfortunate predicament that befell the Bennett witch, and I offered a helping hand" she said in a bored tone. All Rebecca wanted was to have some fun with Matt and these two blokes were standing in her way. "What!" both Stefan and Caroline exclaimed, sending accusatory glare in Matt's direction.

"She can help, she knows the witch we're looking for, so I thought we could just go to Lillian because she doesn't seem to be interested in seeing us" Matt was nervous. He knew this could go sideways, and he may have gotten carried away, Rebecca had that effect on him. "Lillian? What are you on about?" Caroline asked. "Lillian is the witch you are looking for, do keep up Carebear" Rebecca said mockingly. 

That set a scowl on Caroline's face. Rebecca was so annoying. "Okay, lets focus. Why are we here, exactly" Stefan stepped in. "this is where she normally hangs out" Rebecca said. "And you know this, how?" Caroline asked. "She and my brother have a history, although it is not much of a history given that they still gallivant the streets till this day" Rebecca answered.

"So let me get this straight, the witch we're looking for is Klaus's witch? Is that why she's been ignoring us. Is he here?" Stefan asked knowing that if Klaus was involved it could mean trouble for them. "Yes. I don't think so, and no. does that answer all your questions" Rebecca asked. There was a pause, no one dared to say a thing, they didn't know what to say. 

"Okay, I am positive that she is in there. The stench of her perfume was overwhelming, so let us go in there and get your answers" Rebecca said, not waiting for them to answer, she went into the bar. Caroline gave Matt a pointed look, "we're going to discuss your dick-cisions later" she said, head into the bar. Soon Matt and Stefan followed seeing that Rebecca and Caroline were already circling around a petite brunette.