Chapter XII: Ploy

Delora returned home under the cloak of night, her steps echoing softly through the dimly lit corridors of her manor. As she entered her room, she found Corbeau seated on her bed, a glint of steel catching the dim light as he sharpened a dagger. His gaze was cold, piercing as he inquired about her late return.

"Where have you been?" he asked, his tone laced with suspicion.

Delora's response was succinct, revealing little. "I needed fresh air," she stated matter-of-factly.

Corbeau's eyes narrowed, his skepticism evident. "Since when do you go out in the middle of the night?" he queried, his voice tinged with doubt.

Maintaining her composure, Delora affirmed, "I wasn't aware that my every move were tracked."

A faint smirk played on Corbeau's lips, devoid of warmth. "I'm sure you didn't," he replied, a hint of intrigue coloring his words. Delora knew well that what was happening in front of her at this instant was evident treason. 

As Corbeau rose from the bed, his movements possessed a fluid grace that seemed to command the room's attention. His eyes remained fixed on Delora, an aura of confidence and allure enveloping him with each step.

His voice, a soft murmur, held a seductive quality as he spoke. "You've changed, Delora," he observed, his tone intimate and captivating.

"Life shapes us," she responded evenly, her guarded demeanor unwavering. Despite the magnetic pull of Corbeau's presence, Delora remained wary, cognizant of the delicate balance between trust and caution.

Yet, Corbeau persisted, his charm unyielding. With each word, he wove a spell around her, drawing her closer with an intoxicating allure. His touch, gentle against her cheek, elicited a tremor of vulnerability within her.

"We both have our reasons," Delora cautioned, her voice a whispered reminder of the boundaries they tread. But even as she spoke, she couldn't shake the feeling that Corbeau's charm was a calculated façade, a veil to conceal his true intentions.

"I wish I could inquire about your sudden fixation on annihilating your own family, but frankly, I doubt I'd find it worth my concern," Corbeau remarked coolly.

"One would think I would divulge my thoughts to you in the first place. Please do not mistake me for a fool." Delora's tone carried an edge, sensing Corbeau's grip tightening as she attempted to loosen his hold.

"I could list a multitude of descriptors for you." Corbeau's blue eyes softened, but Delora remained skeptical, discerning an ulterior motive behind his words. "You're nothing more than a privileged noble seeking retribution for a bruised ego."

Delora's anger surged. "You presume to know me," she retorted, her voice edged with frustration.

"I know enough to form my own judgment," Corbeau countered. "You're weak, masking your insecurities with a façade of strength. You act impulsively, driven solely by your emotions. You're nothing." 

As Corbeau's grip tightened, Delora struggled to break free. "You're just a pitiful woman without purpose. What will you do once your family lies dead? Seek validation through titles?"

"You speak boldly for one who understands so little," Delora retorted, locking eyes with Corbeau. "Titles don't define superiority; empathy does."

Corbeau's expression hardened. "Empathy is a luxury I won't afford you," he declared, his tone unyielding. But Delora remained unfazed. "Did you possess empathy when you robbed me of the only person who mattered?" He challenged, his gaze piercing Delora's unreadable expression. 

"I was just defending myself," Delora insisted.

"Lies," Corbeau shot back immediately. "You let your rage loose on the innocent, and now you can't face the fact that you took an innocent life. Does lying help you sleep at night?"

"I don't regret what I did," Delora stated firmly, maintaining eye contact with Corbeau, resolute. She had always known that the events of the past still haunted Corbeau, and she accepted his anger as her due.

"I would have given you everything," Corbeau said, pausing before continuing, "if you hadn't killed my brother."

"That's enough," Delora said firmly, finally pushing Corbeau away. For the first time in a long while, Corbeau could see the distress clear on Delora's face. Her eyes widened with surprise as she looked down at the ground. "Get out." She looked back up at Corbeau, a faint smile playing on the corner of his lips. He knew he had struck a sensitive chord, and her reaction pleased him.