Epilogue Part 1: All's Well That Ends Well

Honestly, they were like kids.

With their sudden but sure decision made, Ray stumbled after his sweet girl, giddy and laughing like he was drunk as (y/n) led him away from the depressing service. He wanted to ask where they were going, what she had planned, and why everything seemed so deserted on this side of the mountain, but this was her surprise.

And he was trembling with too much trepidation to ask.

But there was no need to worry. (y/n) knew what she was doing, clutching his hand as she weaved through the undergrowth to a much quieter area, one with a damp, overgrown path that no sane hiker or mourner would ever take. The tree roots ran thick, and their knees brushed against some branches as they delved deeper into the wilderness, stumbling and almost tripping when they focused more on each other and not on the rocky path before them.

Still, they couldn't be blamed when they were so in love. And eventually, however, it all made sense when (y/n) pulled her doofus into a small clearing, hidden from the more apparent trails by towering trees, wild bushes, and long grass. It should've been like a jungle, but all Ray saw was beauty.

Blossoms stretched as far as the eye could see, tiny flowers clinging to the trees before falling like snow, coating everything in a pinkish blanket. It was a scene he'd only heard of when she whispered her dream ceremony in his ear in the dead of night, confessing that she wanted the darling buds of spring to fill every aspect of their wedding, so the blooms couldn't be more perfect.

It was precisely what she had dreamed of, the delicate pink offsetting the lush vegetation as he gasped at the stunning scene. He didn't blink as he took everything in. He didn't want to miss a single detail because he wanted to remember everything from the groove in the dirt lined with petals - the 'aisle' - to the ones hovering around the edges.

Their family were waiting, split into two groups for the bride and groom because it was bad luck for them to see each other. This would be informal, but (y/n) wanted some traditions to stay the same, telling Henry, Schwoz and Jasper to wait by a pretty overhanging tree and tree stump at the foot of the aisle.

They were the groomsmen, whilst across the clearing, behind some thick shrubbery, Charlotte and Piper waited for the woman because they were the bridesmaids - a crucial role. The girl needed to look divine before she walked down the blossom-strewn path, looking slightly mused after leaving for the funeral, so they had to part ways.

Leaving each other's side would be difficult when they'd committed to taking the plunge, but she insisted. It would all be worth it in the end, and Ray would never begrudge her a few final touches.

"You okay, doofus?" (y/n) whispered as they paused momentarily, giggling at the man's awed expression and how he looked at her. No one ever looked at her like that--like she was genuinely someone staggering, but she was to Ray.

He didn't know how she'd managed to pull everything off and right under his nose. Yet he couldn't bring himself to feel blind or stupid since it was so lovely, beautifully encapsulating a memory he'd cherish for the rest of his life. And at the centre...his sweet girl, smiling at him as if he lit up her world. And he did.

"More than okay, sweet girl. This is..." he replied softly, not knowing how to put it into words, but she didn't mind. Some things couldn't be described, but she understood him without speaking, squeezing his hand as they admired the serene scene.

A stone's throw away, the boys noticed their appearance and his lovestruck smile, sniggering and joking about someone being under the thumb--an utter simp. No guesses for who they were talking about, but Ray didn't care, entirely focused on his love as she carefully dropped his hand and took a step back. He hated that, wanting proximity more than anything at such a tender time, but he'd thank her later.