Episode 20: Massage Chair

So far, this was how (y/n)'s day had gone:

Seven AM. She woke up to Ray's wandering hands and incredibly touchy mood, only to glance at her silent alarm clock and realise that last night's plan to sleep in had gone out of the window. He was awake, and so was the sky, the bees, the birds, the early risers, the late workers, and if they were up, it meant she was too.

Eight AM. One energetic start later, she showered, brushed her teeth, combed her hair, and threw on a pair of jeans and a jumper, ready for the day much sooner than the exhausted heroine last night would've hoped for - at least she'd crammed in seven hours.

Eight-thirty. Time for breakfast. A quick shuffle around the kitchen - auto-snacker food was great, but it gained a metallic, plastic taste after one too many meals - and she returned to the main room with a steaming cup of coffee and a bowl of cereal. Simple but effective; plus, it was nice to sit with her doofus and discuss what they would do that day as if they were a real married couple. The peace was lovely while the coffee lasted. 

Nine AM. The kids arrived. Henry, Charlotte and Jasper piled into the Man Cave simultaneously as Schwoz made his first appearance for the day, shattering the tranquillity of the happy couple cuddled up on the couch. It was all noise, smiles and raucous laughter from then on, stemming from the boys teasing their boss over how he spoon-fed his sweet girl to ensure she ate plenty. He blushed, she squeaked, and they found it hilarious - another typical morning.

Nine-forty-five. Ah, yes--the spring clean in the middle of May--the third of the year. She dusted the shelves, wiped the table, and attempted to sort through some of Ray's infinite crap, which he said was essential, but everyone knew it was utter crap. After vacuuming the kitchen, the main room, endless corridors, their bedroom and a few guest rooms, she sanitised the auto-snacker, wiped every button on the supercomputer with a cotton bud to remove the built-up finger grease and mopped the tiles to sparkling perfection.

Eleven AM. Finally, she slumped on the couch, content with how clean and fresh her surroundings were. Ever the neat freak, she admired her work, which would inevitably become dirty when the kids returned from their ice cream run, Ray's workout finished, or Schwoz started another dusty repair job.

But, for now, she was free to be beside godliness and explore various online boutiques to book an appointment - wedding dress shopping, that is. Nothing seemed to catch her eye; some were too sparkly, some weren't sparkly enough; others were too long, too puffy like a pastry, too short, too old, too young. But she guessed that was what an appointment was for - there was a dress out there somewhere, and she and Charlotte were on a mission to find it.

Eleven-thirty. A call came in, and (y/n)'s brief sit-down with a cup of tea and the Goddess of Love Bridal Boutique was over. Everyone assembled in the Man Cave, scuffing her beautifully clean floor as Charlotte reported some tiny freak was attacking a furniture store. Oh, well. The cleanliness was pleasant whilst it lasted. So, the heroes rushed off as they always did, eager to save the day as the tea was left to go cold, and the helpers were left to do nothing. Lucky them.

That was before things got really busy, and it wasn't even midday.

"Oh, look who's back! We didn't even see you with all this really hard work we've been doing!" Schwoz grinned at Henry as the exhausted boy returned from the mission and stepped out of the tube. Curiously, neither Ray nor (y/n) was with him, and his skin seemed redder than usual; one spot, in particular, looked very sore and...in the shape of a tiny palm print?

"So, how'd the mission go?" As she walked over from the computer, Charlotte asked her friend where she and Jasper pretended to work. Ray hated slackers, and they feared that if he returned to them mooching about, there'd be hell to pay. It was easier to lie, even if the glittery pillow on the floor said otherwise.