Episode 15: Charlotte Gets Ghosted

Sometimes, Henry hated himself. He truly did.

Most of the time, he reckoned himself to be a smart, not bad-looking kid with street smarts and a good smile--a popular teenager. But other times, he saw himself as nothing but a bum, especially when he did something as stupid as invoking the chore wheel.

To someone else, that might have sounded strange or anticlimactic because it didn't exist outside of his family home, but within those four walls, it meant instant death. It was meant to be a way for the Harts to decide who was cleaning up but often turned into an unfair, ridiculing fight for some poor soul that was left to do everything. Like now.

Mr Hart had had a party and of course, parties leave big messes. But being the type of bloke he was, he didn't want to clean up and neither did Mrs Hart because both of them were nursing heavy hangovers. So, on principle, the kid had invoked the chore wheel, much to his sister's taunting, and what would've been a great solution became a hefty problem when he was singled out as the loser.

That was a devastating blow; the house looked like a pig sty and his family made no secret of their delighted relief as they did the conga upstairs, mocking him for all he was worth. It wasn't fair, not in the slightest as he took in the enormous task he was facing but little did they know, he had a secret weapon, which he would unleash now that they and their smug faces had disappeared.

In the Man Cave, Ray and (y/n) weren't expecting a call from him since he was meant to be on his way to work. They were enjoying their afternoon, doing nothing special except playing their favourite game with Schwoz, one that the heroine thought was immature and bovine but loved regardless. It was amusing kicking assorted snacks into the genius' mouth like they were taking the final penalty at Wembley and Schwoz didn't mind--free food and whatnot.

"Great. Now, open your mouth!" Ray told him, glancing at his bouncing sweet girl as she eagerly awaited him to take the shot. Following orders, Schwoz stretched his jaw as wide as it would go and braced himself for the impact as Ray jogged forward and booted a blueberry muffin. It hurtled towards him and with pinpoint accuracy, it hit the small man square in the teeth, meaning it was a victory for Team Ray.

"Gooooooaaaaallll!" They cheered together, relishing the fleeting instant and all of the in-the-moment joy it brought. (y/n) cupped her doofus' cheeks and brought him in for a gentle kiss--a well-deserved reward for the hero--as Schwoz waved his hands in the air. It was a meaningless thrill but a good one and they were ready to go again with (y/n) stepping up to the plate when Ray's phone rang in his pocket.

"It's Henry," he noted, eyes glancing at the on-screen contact as he thumbed the accept button. His sweet girl stuck to his side, hoping to overhear the conversation whilst Schwoz dealt with the muffin wedged in his gob.

"You're late," the man said quickly, leaving no room for "hello" or "how are you?" as he answered the phone to his tired sidekick. They had some stuff to do, criminals to catch, other cakes to kick at Schwoz and he hated tardy people, particularly when he hated being the tough-moody boss type on them.

"Yeah, I know. My parents through a rager last night and they won't let me leave 'til I clean it all up," Henry replied, sorting through the trash on the porch as his first job; then, he could work his way inwards. (y/n) was sandwiched against Ray, his arm wrapped around her waist as she clambered up his body to reach the phone and eavesdrop on every word, some of which made her scoff.

Henry's parents were fine, Mr Hart was a character but even now, she made no secret of her slight--massive--disdain for his wife.

Mrs Hart, the honey-haired, pretty, smiley, bubbly, oh-so-lovely lady who could do no wrong...except for catching the eye of her doofus. It was true, he was much more well-behaved these days, having quelled most of his tendencies to compliment the moms he used to hold a candle for but it still stung to know that nothing had changed. She was still beautiful, kind and flirtatious and Ray was still dense, dumb and receptive.