Promises

I wanted them to hurt so here you go :3 also not beta read so hopefully flawless first time writing :>
—————————————————————————

Sabre sighed, clenching his fists.

"So, this is the end of us working together?"

Light nodded, frowning as he spoke.

"I.. I suppose so. For now."

Sabre nodded in return, turning away. Light raised his hand, pulling back as a second thought before calling for his Elite Guard.

"Goodbye, Sabre. I wish you luck."

"Yeah. Bye, Light Steve. Good luck.."

The two colorless beings left, not a single glance to spare. Sabre sighed, turning back.

"Light wait- I-.. I need you.." he whispered, hugging himself defeatedly. He turned to the two darker beings, giving Dark Steve a small smile and reassuring him it wasn't his fault.

"Stay here for a second, alright? You too, Shadow. Give me a minute to do something," he ordered before turning to where Light and his guard walked off to. If he ran fast enough, they shouldn't have gotten too far.

He ran for a few minutes before spotting them, the clanking of their armor helping guide him.

"LIGHT!"

The small group turned to him, defensive for a second before relaxing. Light said something to the guards quietly before moving to meet the player halfway while the guards remained behind.

"Sabre, what is it? I'm not working with the Darkness if that's what you've come back to talk to me over. My decisions been made."

"No, no yeah, I know. I just- wanted to talk. Privately. One last time before we.. part ways." the player smiled wryly, glancing at the conversing guards and back to Light. The frosty haired steve glanced back at the guards as well before sighing, turning back to Sabre with a nod.

"Alright, but let's make it quick. We both have work to do."

"Thank you. Here, let's move a little further back."

They retraced their steps, just a bit further away from the guards and behind the trees.

"Alright, what is it?"

The player shifted on his feet, turning his head away from the steve before he spoke again.

"We.. I just.. It's gonna be harder, not working together. I won't try and persuade you to work with me anymore, but.. It was nice working with you, Light Steve."

He held out his hand, a thing they'd done plenty of times before after being around each other so often. Light glanced down at his hand, smiling sadly and grabbing it, tugging him into a hug.

"I'm sorry. And I'm sorry we never got to explore this further.. If- if this doesn't ruin anything we've had so far, I'd like to try more when we meet back up again. Hopefully under better circumstances." Light muttered, rubbing Sabre's back. Sabre nodded into his shoulder, shuddering slightly.

"I'm sorry too. Sorry this is the only way." Sabre whispered back, a slight waver to his voice.

"Our opinions may differ, as well as our methods, but I do still care for you. Please be safe out there, Sabre." Light said sorrowfully, pulling away slowly. The way Sabre's ears drooped as he looked away made him want to take it all back, but he stood strong. His decision was made.

The brunette nodded, pulling away fully.

"I know. You be safe too, alright? I can't.. I can't lose you fully. Not like I have so many others." Sabre muttered ruefully, a small smile on his lips. Light laughed humorlessly, putting a hand on the shorters shoulder.

"I'll try.. We should part now. It was fun while it lasted, friend. I await the day I can fight alongside you again."

Sabre wiped at his face almost inconspicuously as he laughed tentatively.

"Yeah, yeah. Go on back to your guards. Please, please be safe, Light. I'll see you some other time, yeah?"

Light nodded, his heart nearly jumping out of his chest when Sabre pulled him down into a chaste kiss.

"I expect to see you alive and healthy next time I see you, Light Steve. Don't go breaking promises on me." Sabre called as he started walking back to the camp. Well, Light was always a man of his word.

A shame the one promise he broke had to be one he made to his beloved.

—————————————————————————

I don't typically end things with angst bc it makes my soul cry but yk what, change in pace, let's go 💃 I feel like the ending doesn't hit as hard as I wanted it to but AUAUAUAGAH IM LEAVING IT 😭

Words: 690 wowowow a shorter one than the last :O
Time: idk I had the doc open for like a day so I'll go with around 30 mins or something 🧍‍♂️