Chapter 24

As I sat there looking up at the sky I couldn't help but think about what lead up to this point. Naomi was really dead. I had killed her. And just like Jamar promised, I didn't get in trouble, but I felt guiltier than ever. Naomi Simmons was my best friend. Almost like a sister. We did everything together. We even took the ultimate risk to stay friends. And now that I think about it. All it took was a guy to break us apart. I admit, I shouldn't have been with Jamar to begin with, but it was like we were destined to be together. We would always find each other, and I knew it wasn't by accident. And then, I thought about my mom and the advice she gave me. If you wanted to stay with the guy, you would have to take risks. Now that she's dead, I don't know if I'll ever think about my life choices the same. So much has happened in these last few months between meeting Jamar, seeing my mom and battling Naomi. And it hurts that she never knew she was using me and vice versa. I mean, it was six years that we've been doing the same stuff. In and out of jail, bailing her out of jail and taking risks. But I chose to believe that one day I would truly see Naomi for who she was. Not just who my mom said she was because she never liked Naomi. And it was clear that Naomi never liked her either. But we made it work. And then there's my dad. The poor guy has been through two much I honestly don't know why he hasn't thought about suicide yet. I mean, I would've been took my hair out. But he stood by me, through thick and thin. No matter what I did, he did his best to support me. And I knew it wasn't easy. It was the exact opposite. Sometimes I wished I had been a better daughter to him. But tonight he proved just why he was the best dad in the whole world. And we'll definitely be getting a new car soon. Which brings me to Jamar. The love of my life. I loved him so much, that I stopped at nothing to have him. I made a promise that I would put and end to Naomi and I did just that. And although I might regret it later, it won't be anytime soon. Jamar wasn't just a great boyfriend, but he was a true friend. Who stood by me the whole time and regardless of his past, I knew what type of guy he was. He was a passionate guy. A guy that has standards and goals that no one would understand. And as far as a criminal. Yes, he was bad. But his heart was anything but cold. I was truly in love with him and now we would get to finally have our happily ever after.
I smiled and breathed in the fresh air.
"Feels good doesn't it?", Jamar asked from behind.
I got up and walked toward him.
"It feels amazing", I replied.
Jamar pulled me close.
"You are the only person I need."
I hugged him.
"Has anyone ever told you that you're amazing?"
He laughed.
"Yes."
"Well then I'll be the first to say that I wouldn't trade this adventure with you for anything", I replied.
He caressed my face.
"I love you Maya."
"I love you too."
He walked to the edge of the building.
And at that moment, I felt a nice, cool breeze swift past my body.
"What was that?", I asked.
"That was the universe telling us that we've won the war."
"Through fire", I said.
He looked back at me.
"Through Fire and Desire", he replied.
I smiled.
"It would've killed us you know?"
"Yeah, but the love we share is deeper than any flame", he replied.
"It is, and when I first saw you, I knew you were different", I said grabbing his hand.
"Really?"
"Yes."
We kissed.
"Jamar, I don't know what's next for us, but I don't ever want this story to end", I said.
Jamar smiled and looked up at the sky.
"It'll never end, because I am The Fanatical Beast."