Chapter 12

"Sir, you need to find out who did this", my dad said.
"Yes sir, we're doing everything we can", the officer replied.
My dad sighed.
"This is my only car. My only way back and forth to work. Whoever vandalized my car is to be arrested and put in jail immediately", he said.
"Sir I understand-"
"No you don't! How am I supposed to get to the store to buy groceries!"
I grabbed my dad's arm.
"Dad, calm down", I said.
The police officer looked at me.
"We're really doing everything we can."
My dad scoffed.
"Maya go and get me my phone."
"Why?"
"Just go get it."
I rushed in the house and got his phone.
"Dad what are you doing?", I asked.
"I'm calling the insurance company. They're going to pay to get this fixed."
I turned to the police officer.
"With all due respect, I think y'all should be focusing on who did this rather than asking us questions because we don't know who it could've been", I said.
He nodded his head.
"Yes ma'am. We're just trying to help", he replied.
"Yeah."
He walked away.
"Dad, the insurance company isn't going to cover all the damage you know?", I said.
"I know, but they can cover up to 65%", he replied.
I rolled my eyes.
"The person who did this is going to cover most of it, or else they're going to jail."
He looked at me.
"Maya, I know what I'm doing", he replied.
"I'm sure you do."
"Excuse me?"
"Dad, you've loaned out over seven thousand dollars from the company already. They're not going to pay more than three hundred dollars in repairs", I replied.
He crossed his arms.
"And how do you know that?", he asked.
"Because they said it last time when you had got into a wreck near the park."
"But Maya, we need all the money we can get from them."
"I get that Dad, but they're not giving more than three hundred. That's the bottom line", I replied.
He shook his head and went inside. Man he was stubborn. Never before in my life have I met a person as determined as he was. It was almost like he knew how much they were going to give and he was sure they were going to give him that much. And normally, I would agree with him, but I knew for a fact that he wasn't going to get full coverage.
I decided to call Jamar.
"Hello?"
"Hey baby", I said.
"Hey!"
"How are you?", I asked.
"I'm good. Just got out the shower."
"Cool."
"You sound upset", he said.
"Yeah, I needed to talk to you about something."
"What is it?"
"It's about my dad's car", I replied.
"Oh."
"Yeah, someone vandalized it and the police can't find the suspect."
There was silence.
"So, what do you want me to do?", he asked.
"I need you to help me find out who did it."
"Mmm...sounds like a little investigation", he replied.
"Yeah."
"Ok, I can help you."
"Really?"
"Yes."
"Thank you so much baby. I love you", I replied.
"You're welcome."
"We can meet up later today if you want?"
"Sure", he replied.
I thanked him and hung up. Man he was the best. He was always willing to help his woman out. How did I not find out about him sooner? I mean of course Naomi met him first but in the end I'm the one who has him. And we were tighter than ever. So to whoever decided to mess with my family, we're coming for you.