Chapter 17

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing.
"Hello?"
"Maya, could you come downstairs please?", Mrs. Donna asked.
I stretched.
"Yeah sure."
I walked downstairs to find Mrs. Donna rocking back and forth in her chair.
"What's wrong?", I asked.
"Please, sit down", she said.
I sat down. I could tell Mrs. Donna had been crying.
"Mrs. Donna, what's wrong?"
"It's...about your mother", she replied.
My eyes grew big.
"What about her?"
"She passed away this morning."
I looked down.
"Oh."
"Yes. I just thought you should be the first to know", she replied.
"The first?"
"Yes, I told the doctors if she died that you should be the first one to know, considering you were affected the most when she left you and your father."
I wiped my tears.
"What about my dad?"
"I'll tell him later today", she replied.
I looked up at the ceiling.
"You know, I spoke with her a couple days ago", I sniffled.
"Mhmm, she told me."
"Really?"
"Yes Maya, she told me you asked her for advice and she was happy to give it to you", she said.
I sighed.
"What else did she say?", I asked.
Mrs. Donna put down her cup of tea.
"She told me to tell you that she loves you, and that although she was never there like she was supposed to be, she wouldn't trade these last few years with you for nothing", she replied.
I sat there upset. Not because she died, but because she died alone. And even though she wasn't perfect, no one deserves to die that way. Even the most cruel, selfish people like herself. She left me and my dad when I was five years old. I didn't know her well, but I knew good enough to remember her face. Her bright smile and silky black hair. Now I was all grown up and I didn't get to say goodbye.
"Sounds like her", I replied.
"Maya, I never got to tell you this, but your mother wasn't always like this."
I scoffed.
"Then what was she like?", I asked.
"She was a nice, fine woman. One that vowed to always put you and your father first. She just didn't know how. And it didn't make sense back then, but now it's as clear as daylight. Your mother was dealing with so much at the time she was pregnant with you. She worked but struggled to keep a job. And her father was so abusive to her. He would curse her, and he kicked her out of his house. But I tell you one thing. She took care of you. She made ends work with just a bike and some change. Whatever she did, she made sure you had what you needed. And when your father was working she would go and look for food to feed you and sometimes, she won't even feed herself. It was pitiful. But as soon as you were born, the pain and the hurt hit hard. She began drinking and smoking and running the streets. And as hard as she tried, she couldn't leave the pills alone. She said it was like her medicine. And up until you were about five, she struggled between life and being there for her family. But as the temptation got stronger, her mind became unclear, and she didn't know what she wanted. So she left. She couldn't live her life knowing she would be hurting you and your father as well. And it was a very painful decision. Your mother didn't want to leave, but she had to do what was best for you. And although you see it as abandonment, it was also a mother's instinct. She wanted to protect you. And while she still roamed the streets, she thought about you everyday, every hour, every minute Maya. And that's why I've always had faith that you two would find your way back to each other."
I cried.
"There, there it's ok", Mrs. Donna said handing me a napkin.
"You didn't know."
I looked up at her.
"You're right. My dad never told me about her. All I've ever known was to think of her as this evil, manipulative woman that left us", I replied.
"Well, now you know the truth."
She got up and went into the kitchen.
"You hungry?"
"No thanks. I just need a minute", I replied.
"Of course."
As she fixed her some eggs I sat there thinking about what was thrown at me a couple minutes ago. The woman I knew to be selfish, and cruel was dead and I would never get to see her again. I'm not going to lie, that's a lot to process in one morning. Especially when you're being targeted and you have to watch your back every second. It was awful. But I'll forever be grateful for the advice she gave me. And I'll never forget the future that could've been ahead of us.