chapter 23

After their time in the hidden library, Wednesday and Enid started to try communicating better. With all of Enid's questions, Wednesday found themselves digging out tombs of lore, reading it aloud for her as the wolf cuddled into their side.

It was a nice few weeks of trying their relationship over, giving each other room to breathe and at the least understand each other. They usually snuck off to the house Wednesday had found, sprucing it up and fixing the falling apart house. They fixed the lights and brought their things from the dorm, setting up rooms as their own spaces and a bedroom, an office for Wednesday to store their books and write in a quiet environment.

The basement was changed into a room for Enid during full moons, where they'd cuddle and play. They enjoyed their small home, using it as a refugee between classes, sometimes allowing Friends into the house as well.

Even with the lights, The shadows remained in rooms, lurking around Wednesday's form as they entered and exited rooms, they cloaked them in darkness during the evening, often scaring Enid and making her jump.

Tonight was no different, when Wednesday rose from their bed and accidentally woke Enid up. The demon walked from the second story room, opening the front door and blinking at the envelope on the porch. It was dark, red ink having written their name in cursive.

Wednesday looked at the envelope and closed the door, sighing quietly. They turned and stared into one of the shadows in the corner, a smile spreading onto their face.

"Were you curious, my lady?"

Enid stepped out of the shadows, dressed in her pajamas and pouting as she leaned over Wednesday's shoulder and squinted, struggling to read in the dark living room.

"What is it? Looks...ethereal?" Enid reached out to touch it and was surprised when Wednesday grabbed her hand, shaking their head.

"This is soul parchment, Darling. You still have your mortality, you can't touch it quite yet." Wednesday explained to her as they opened the envelope, pulling out a folded letter. It was still written in cursive, ornate as it requested the presence of the young Addams.

"We've been Invited to a gala and you Enid, will be making your debue as my mate."

————

Wednesday Addams was a being that commanded Respect and fear, but Enid always found her heart pounding when she saw them. Tonight was no different, but as they prepared for the evening, adjusting their tailored suit. Their truest form was still as short as their human one, but just as elegant with the black feathers covering their form. They weren't human and instead were a sort of anthropomorphic bird, a raven ironically enough. Their form was clouded with a cloak of shadows, dancing and making up part of their form as red eyes stared down up at the wolf. A crown of thorns and teeth rested on their head, their suit a dark red that contrasted their very form. A broach rested on their tie, a spiderling that was made of metal, still squirming and shifting to appear perfect any moment they turned their neck. While still having arms they'd grown black talons in place of their fingers, their skin had melted to become the very shadows lying across their form, feathered wings poking out of the cloak only long enough for Enid to stroke them.

In turn, a pleased purr rose from Wednesday, their beak opened to reveal thousands of sharp teeth. Their tail had curled around one of their legs, the scales flexing and falling to hide their spikes, the shadows flattening their tails form to keep from tripping up another guest.

Enid was silent, marveling at their brilliant red eyes and fanged grin. She was wearing and beautiful dress to match them, black gloves and shoes with a dark red dress that curled and swam with every movement. The frilled ends of the dress were black, just like the lace around the straps of her shoulders.

The crowd around them hushed, the multiple demons bowing to the newest arrival of the Addams family. Every family was given it's respect, bowed to and honored by each guest.

Wednesday turned to look at her, a grinning beak of teeth as they held out a hand for her. She took it and they both looked back to the crowd, silently walking down the steps into the gigantic ballroom.

"Come my Darling, I wish to flaunt you on the  dance floor." Enid couldn't help the laugh that escaped her as she was pulled to the dance area of the gala, holding Wednesday's hand tightly.

"Follow my lead. Now, demons make official business deals by dance. Their skill In dance furthers the deal. Do you understand my dear?"

Enid smirked, looking at Wednesday with Eyes that shined. The ballroom was alight by candles and fire, revealing the furious glow in her eyes. It was beautiful, ethereal, and Wednesday felt pride in knowing that this beautifully wild creature was their mate.

They nodded, standing tall and pulling Enid up until she stood tall, or at least as confident as they did.

"Then show me what you're capable of, Il mio bel lupa." Wednesday moved first, spinning with Enid following along. They held their arm out, holding her as she tipped on one of her legs and arched her body in a show of gymnastics. Raising her left leg in the air she let go of Wednesday's hand and let gravity pull her into a cartwheel before she landed back on her feet, kneeling low to the ground and feeling Wednesday grab her hand. They pulled her back up and they moved, beginning in a square as they waltzed.

"I didn't know you were so flexible Enid." Wednesday smirked at her, their left arm holding her's into the air. They turned and she followed, they moved back to back with hand in hand, continuing the dance before Enid crouched down, Wednesday easily jumping into a backflip over her body and Sending her a kiss through the air. Enid grinned, exposing her fangs. Wednesday landed in front of her, facing away as they opened their cloak. Enid could see writhing shadows within it, all of them desperate to participate in the dance with them. Wednesday glanced at her over the hem of their cloak, seeing her nod before they allowed the shadows to accompany them.
They charged for the wolf and she hopped into a Pirouette, leaping and spinning over the playful dark spirits, which curved and floated around her. She laughed, grinning at Wednesday who stood with their arm outstretched to her once again. She took it, dipping down underneath Wednesday, her head easily reaching the floor, her hair nearly sliced by the sword hidden in their belt. She couldn't stop grinning and got up, standing behind them as she swiped with her claws. They dodged, stepping back and avoiding each swipe of multi colored claws.

"There's a lot of things you don't know about me." Wednesday could feel the way their feathers ruffled, the darkness of the gala curled toward their master and Wednesday ducked under a swipe of claws they almost missed.

Wednesday used their leg to trip Enid's leg, watching her catch herself and spin, trying to do the same to them. They jumped, using the floor to hand spring themselves forward. They looked at Enid, the wolf rising from the floor with purpose shining in her eyes. Wednesday chuckled to themselves, using their arms to shield their face from her punches. They caught her hand, leading her into another spin, dipping her and watching her lean into another cartwheel, her dress flourishing and shining like gems within the candle light. But Enid didn't make it to the finish, as Wednesday pulled her back up and held her into the air with ease. Enid laughed, carefree and delighted, her arms spread out as Wednesday spun and grinned before setting her down on the floor. Letting her go, they Lowered themselves onto their knees, reaching into their cloak to pull out a small box.

Enid was breathless, as were the rest of the gala's guests. Enid was processing, looking down at this powerful demonic creature who held a box in their hands. It looked so small and delicate, and when Wednesday opened the box to reveal a band of obsidian metal, Enid could feel herself falling.

Wednesday moved quickly, nearly drooling the box as they caught Enid before she could hit the floor. They sighed, cooing softly as they stood with both precious things in hand and retreated from the ballroom, the rest of the gala seeming inconsequential when compared to their unconscious mate.