chapter 22

Enid felt cold during the evening, shivering despite her fuzzy blankets covering her and wrapped around in a safe cacoon. Sleep ridden and hazy, she opened one of her eyes and hummed, a small smile forming on her face at the sight of her mate curled up by her side, laying against her blankets and Purring. Going back to sleep, Enid didn't completely realize that they were both in a different room.

Waking up hours later, Enid found herself in a library. Well, it was a library she hadn't seen before.

"Where the hell am I?!" She threw her covers to the side, jumping when something thumped to the ground to her left.

An inhuman snarl made her heart jump, and she backed away from a set of black claws, watching as something fled into the darkness of bookshelves that were tall enough to reach the ceiling.

Enid blinked, her eyes narrowed and glowing a soft red while she searched the darkness. She frowned, hands searching the wooden floor beneath her mattress for her phone. She cursed, glancing down at the floor in a panic. Her phone wasn't here, but where was here?

"Yoko? Wednesday? Where are you?!" The lights turned on suddenly with a flourish, torches lining a tall staircase that led down to a giant library, which she was in now. The walls were covered in a dark floral wallpaper and the beems were a wood almost black.

The library was eeriely silent, and Enid felt her wolf growl in warning. Something was wrong, and She didn't like it. The air lingered with dust and the familiar scent of her best friend. Yoko's scent was the strongest, the most recent, she must've brought her down here. Fuck!

A hacking cough caught her attention and Enid jumped, getting up and moving. Her heart caught in her throat when the smell of blood reached her nose. Someone was bleeding, or injured, or something!

"H- Hello Enid." The voice was gravely, but somehow maintained the gentle tone of one Wednesday Addams. The voice wasn't human, but it still held that fondness that Enid was so familiar with.

"W- Wednesday, what are you doing down here?" Enid swallowed her rage for a moment, her disgust catching her wolf off guard.

"I woke up here, the same as you little wolf."

"Little? I'm not little!" Enid snarled, the half hearted noise coming from her wolf. Her wolf seeming to disagree with her feelings of disgust and rage.

"I apologize, I merely meant to compliment you. You're looking lovely this morning." Enid blushed, scoffing and shaking her head.

"I know you Wedns, compliment me so you can get away with murder." the sound of movement caught her ear, the fluttering of feathers making her glance down to the floor, her nose twitching as the black feathers drifted to her feet.

"You do know how to make me feel special, Enid. But it seems that Yoko has trapped us here for us to communicate." A hint of annoyance was evident in their voice, the low hiss rising as an angry snap of talons made Enid flinch.

"Well... I guess we talk, like those scenes in the movies where our friends are right outside the entrance!" Enid seemed to beam, to flourish as for a moment her anger was forgotten.

Wednesday didn't reply, but the shadows of the library began to drop away, to fade back into the depths of the dusty bookshelves and hidden safes in the wall. The lights flickered and returned to their warmth, allowing Enid to see better within the library, allowing her to see Wednesday sitting on the ground among a pile of books. There was no lingering monster that made Enid afraid, only Wednesday, her best friend, her mate.

Her Mate.

Her stomach rolled, she felt sick at the way her wolf identified them immediately. She'd been foolish to act without thinking and bind herself to them.

"Have I done something to upset you, Enid?" Wednesday tilted their head, eyes blinking slowly
and one at a time. Enid squinted, they looked ill. While usually they looked pale, they seemed to have warmth to their skin and heat radiated from them in an unnatural manner.

"Yea-" She'd opened her mouth to talk, but she was cut short when Wednesday brought their hands up to cup their face, coughing into them. they were short coughs at first, but they became uncomfortably fast and aggressive, coughing became gagging as blood slipped past their fingers and soaked their skin.

"Wednesday?!" Enid rushed to them, kneeling in front of them and pulling their hands from their face, watching in horror as the blood crystalized across their body. She gasped, looking closer at Wednesday and noticing the rough texture of cystaline blood on their skin. Wednesday's big sweater made it hard to notice it at first, but as Enid looked she could see the protruding crystals of dark blood. They were on their arms, their legs, they torso. It was as if every wound was being broken apart and bled flowers of Crystal.

"Oh, forgive me. I didn't intend for you to see my form in such a way. This has happened to many in my clan. I apologize, Enid." Enid stared, her brain processing as horror took hold of her body.

"W- why is this happening?" She whispered, a soft whine in her throat as she covered her mouth, her hands shaking.

"When an Addams has upset their mate, their very blood punishes them." Wednesday explained calmly, their voice quiet and breathing ragged.

"Why didn't you tell me about this?!" Enid shrieked, she was afraid and frustrated with Wednesday for not communicating with her.

"You were upset with me, I had assumed it was because of my very nature, I didn't wish to bother you with my clan's punishment."

Enid blinked away tears, looking at Wednesday. When had she started crying? Her throat felt uncomfortable and her chest was tight, her wolf feeling ready to tear down the door to get Wednesday to the hospital.

"I was upset because you wouldn't communicate with me! you've killed people and didn't tell me, or explain why, you just expected me to understand everything you've been doing!" She gasped for breath, sobbing and struggling to breathe past the mucus forming and tears running.

"My wolf, I was under the impression that you also killed your romantic compitition to have better chance of mating with your beloved. I apologize if I was mistaken..."

Enid gasped at Wednesday, unsure if she should laugh or scream. It was such a Wednesday thing to do. Gosh, why didn't she think about that?

"Wedns, no...Wolves fight for their hand, but we don't kill each other, unless they're lone wolves." Enid tried to explain it carefully for them, her wolf leading her to subconsciously wrap her body around her small mate and gently scent their head, growling for them in hopes of comforting.

"C- Can we talk more about this in the nurse's office, or the hospital?" Enid asked, moving slowly as she stood and picked Wednesday up.

Wednesday purred softly, the sound partially broken and worryingly slow. They leaned into her touch, frowning at the heat coming from her.

"If you reassure me you're not going to leave me." Enid sighed, starting to walk up the steps, keeping Wednesday's head resting under her chin.

"I won't, but can we slow down? you're going too fast for me in this relationship, I need space and time. I love you, just not like you want me to. Wednesday, you're great and I want to appreciate you, I can't do that when I don't understand your customs and behaviors, or when I'm thrown head first into a romantic relationship. When I've never had one before!" Wednesday blinked, glancing up at Enid as they frowned.

They were going too fast, they needed to communicate better. Well, they would try, whatever Enid needed.

"Of course, whatever you need Enid. However, I Will not understand everything, so I ask that you explain things to me as well." Enid felt a wet laugh leave her throat, sniffling past a dripping and stuffy nose. She was not a pretty crier.

"Thanks Wednesday, I love you."

"I love you as well Enid." The statue above the library moved as they reached the final stepped to the top, allowing the sunlight in. They both winced and Enid growled as she stepped outside and immediately went toward the nurse's office.

"Now, let's get you some help."

"Mental help? Oh Enid, I didn't think you knew electroshock therapy." Enid blushed, pushing the embarrassment deep down past her shame and unrealized gay awakening.