Chapter 2

Enid felt her mouth go dry, the dark attic making it hard for her to see. However, the faint aura of the string lights just barely bright enough for her to see the figure in front of her. Brown eyes stared up at her, steel like small black lips thinned into a line, pupils sharp and skin so pale they looked sickly. Black hair set in pigtails, a small part across the forehead. Small black feathers littered the floor, making Enid sneeze.

An eyebrow rose, elegant, much like the soft skin that had a faint glow, the overcoming aura that Enid felt herself drown in, the Black gloves of a soft texture that she couldn't identify. Black polish, beautiful, precise.

Who was she? Who was this beautiful being? This strange force that made her heart feel warm and her eyes wander over unfamiliar victorian dress. She obviously had a theme, but it was so gorgeous that the colorful werewolf didn't seem to mind.

Eventually, Enid was forced to snap from her awed stupor. "Well mutt, you've obviously summoned me for something. Out with it."

The voice was sharp, monotone but so obviously annoyed at the same time despite not a shift in tone. It made Enid shiver.

"I- Uh, I- I was trying to get a friend. But I think I did the thing wrong..." She didn't know what to say, to do, how to explain why she'd even summoned such an unusually threatening force.

A soft exhale, so subtle but clearly a sigh, caught her attention.

"And of course, I am bonded to an idiotic mutt. You summoned me In order to gain a friend?" Incredulous, simply mad! Who the hell would summon them, a demon, to be friends?

"B- Bonded?" The words fell from Enid's mouth in a whisper, the poor girl was so obviously confused and it sickened the smaller teen to no end.

"Yes, a demon is bonded to the summoner, once they are summoned. Now, I unfortunately cannot leave or attempt to harm you. How deeply infuriating." The information was spouted easily, explained to Enid, who perked up despite being still very, very confused.

"So we can be friends! Right?" A soft hum, a shift of a hand and a silver knife rested against Enid's neck, making her swallow in fear, panicked as she stepped away.

"Only if I must. However, never refer to us as such things ever again. Do you understand?" A tilt of the head and a small frown had inner turmoil brew in their intestine, so they returned their knife to their hiding space. They could threaten their master, but never hurt them. Not without consequences.

"G- Got it! Are you hungry or anything? I could get you a place to sleep If you want! Maybe just help me get out of here? I got locked in..." Enid bit her lip, blushing in embarrassment. Nothing came from the mouth of her new friend, but they walked to the attic door, testing it's knob before twisting it, breaking the internal lock of the door, and the entire knob itself. It fell to the floor, allowing the door to be pushed open and held open for Enid. She was flustered, amazed as she grabbed her bag and rushed out of the attic with a grin.

"Thanks so much!" Enid moved without thinking, trying to hug the smaller outcast. Would Demons even be considered outcasts? A hand to her chest stopped her, strong but oh so delicate in touch.

"The thought of contact with the living contacts me. Refrain from doing so. Now, you mentioned you had something edible here? Your summons has disrupted my daily schedule." Gloved hands went behind their back, held at ease despite their rod straight back.

"Yeah! you want to eat in my room, or stay in the attic? I don't know, you might like it up there..." An eyebrow raise again, making the pup confused.

"You are allowing me freedom, despite summoning me here to do whatever you ask of me. Why?" Black lips that were once settled into a line pursed lightly into a frown, the question making Enid frown.

"Why wouldn't I? you're your own person, er- creature, aren't you? I wouldn't make you do something you don't want to."

"Very well, the attic shall become my dwelling. You may only call upon my title if you need something of me." Enid was conflicted, feeling absolutely panicked and terrified that she has a demon in her house, but also? It was really fucking cool!

"Awesome! Hey, what is your name anyways?"

"Refer to me as Wednesday from now on, those of knowledge will be aware of my title and my name."

"Oh, yeah. Cool... Wait! Did you just call me stupid?!"
————

Enid walked downstairs, Wednesday waiting upstairs in her room. She peaked around a corner, sighing in relief when she didn't see her mom. She snuck over to the kitchen, grabbing the left over meat from lunch. It was fresh, just recently caught and skinned, carefully cleaned. Enid didn't like blood, or fresh game, she couldn't eat it alive or freshly killed. So instead, she resorted to snacks in her room. However, she wasn't sure if her guest would enjoy the snacks she has stashed away in her room. It was sugary mostly, and from her limited knowledge on Demons from modern media, she knew they are meat. A plate of chicken, torn and halfway eaten was grabbed. She rushed back upstairs to Wednesday, nearly tripping on a step in her hurry. But a hand caught her shoulder, keeping her upright. It was rough, the grip making her bones ache.

"H- Hey mom..." Enid didn't turn around, she didn't look. Her heart hammered in her chest and she glanced up towards her room. The door opened just a peak, a squeak echoing in her ears. Esther said nothing, silent with rage. Claws dug into Enid's shoulder, making her tear up. She couldn't move, she couldn't put the plate down, she was stuck.

"I suggest you unhand her, or I may have to do something quite enjoyable." Enid shuddered at the contained threat behind her, just a hairs away from her ear. The demon, Wednesday, still looking very much not demonic was holding Esther's hand, the claws were gone from her shoulder, blood already seeping into her sweater and shirt. Enid let out a whine, jumping slightly at the growl that rose in Esther's chest. Wednesday looked unamused, but only slightly annoyed.They curled their lip in distaste, the only physical proof of her dislike for the display of Esther's parental habits. An uncomfortable crunch made Enid shudder in disgust, she had to look away from the disgusting way Esther's hand practically caved in, the pull obviously restrained in terms of power Wednesday could display. Enid watched a small smile form and she started moving, pulling Wednesday up to her room and thrusting the food into their hands before grabbing her trash can and promptly throwing up, groaning in disgust.

"Oh, I did not know you had an aversion to blood, I will keep note of that in the future."