Chapter 3- First Encounter

The rest of the day continued as normal. I had lunch in my office by myself as I usually did, seeing as I had little time to sit in the cafe and drink some cold coffee with the other slackers (I mean doctors...) I preferred to just eat lunch in privacy.I never did mind though, I only had a few friends here to begin with and even then I was more close with my patients than them. From day one half the people decided if they liked me or hated me, then banded together to eventually leave me be. I wasn't worth the effort nor could I be bothered to make the effort. I began to prepare a few notes on the joker and what my tactics would be instead, after all this was no ordinary patient and I had to be on red alert. Even then I just couldn't concentrate, this was the moment where all my hard work would pay off and I could become someone in Gotham. I could mean something to the people and show everyone that I am someone important.That was the sweetest success out of all of this, the hope that people would learn to respect me more. I've had enough of being put down in my lifetime than necessary and I wasn't going to let anyone do it to me again, no matter who or what they are. From what the jokers files stated he did live up to the expectations of his name; over 1000 crimes done in his lifetime, countless murder and robbery, even some forgery. Pretty impressive for a freak. I tried to read through most of the recent articles he was featured in but I instantly became bored. Every one of them just kept going on about how the 'heroic and mysterious' batman saves the day as usual, they hardly changed apart from the jokers antics. Even then they hardly ever mentioned the joker which I found unfair,he was the one doing all the hard work coming up with these schemes etc whilst the bat just shows up and punches a few times! Where's the justice in that? The jokers plans were quite genius I must say, filling a load of balloons with toxic at a charity ball of the most wealthiest people was definitely my favourite article. I could never think up something up so devious and mad, he must have some brains left in that insane mind of his. As I delved deeper into his file (which was pretty big!) I began to notice that he also had no matching DNA prints or any identity at all which intrigued me the most, who was Mr J? Was there more to him than this mad clown? "It must be nice I guess, having no identity" I say aloud to myself as I flick through the pages.No past to catch up with you and nothing to stop you, you could be free...I shake my head as I think of these ridiculous thoughts as if trying to shake them out. There's a difference between freedom and being a criminal. I must remember that. I go to make a note of it in my planner but as I look up to glance at where my pen had rolled to I notice the clock just striking half 11. had been here for almost 10 hours reading about joker but to me it had felt like merely a few minutes. "Well I guess I can't study anymore, tomorrow is the big day" I push my chair back and pick up my things, pausing to stare at the view from my window. Gotham was ablaze with lights and traffic, lit up like a Christmas tree was what I had always thought. The night life had always suited me better, even if it wasn't less quiet it seemed like it to me especially on the walk home when the pavements would be half empty. It left me alone with my thoughts rather than everybody else's. With a shut of the door I began to walk down the corridor, passing Joan's office and peeking in to see if she was there but no such luck as all that remained of her was her photo frame of her and her husband at their wedding. She looked so happy in it sometimes I forget that they are the same people, nowadays she was more serious and sarcastic than happy. I wonder what caused her to change... Oh well I have enough thoughts on my mind already I shouldn't be worrying bout Joan, I'm sure she is okay. Probably just the stress of work, especially now joker was coming security must be going up more than ever. Walking down the stairs I begin to realise that actions were already being taken at Arkham;more guards were appearing than I had ever encountered before and they were on each landing of the asylum, all with serious faces and suspicious glares as I passed. Arkham sure acts fast, it's like the guards appeared from thin air! Dr Arkham had always been an efficient man though, it hardly surprised me he found so many in such a short space of time. When I reach the patients ward however I see a more surprising sight. I find poison ivy being marched from her cell with guards surrounding her as she shoots look of annoyance and clutching one of her plants for dear life, as if it was going to be ripped from her hands. This didn't look good, she wasn't set to leave for another few weeks, why was she being moved now? "W-What's going on?" I look in shock as I rush over to Ivy, she just rolls her eyes and strokes a plant leaf whilst turning to the guards around her. One of the guards Jeffrey looks back at her with a look which scared me but obviously not her, nothing scared Pamela. "Now that jokers here I'm getting kicked out, can you believe the ignorance! They want to limit the amount of patients so they can focus 'security' on him, which means I'm getting shoved out. They didn't even let me get all of my babies" before I reply to her saying I would go get them they turn to me and block my view from her.
"Miss Quinzel I did not know you would be working so late, you should be heading home right now. I don't think now is the right time to meet your new patient"
"He's here?" I look at the guard excitedly and he only raises an eyebrow at me, obviously I was sounding too happy for his liking.
"Yes... Look lemme get plant girl out the way and we can escort you out the entrance" they go to shove Ivy along but I quickly grab Jeffreys arm stopping them once more.
"N-No need for that, Ivy is coming home with me... I'll escort her out the entrance, I'm sure she can keep me company" I grin at Ivy and the grin back from her is a promising sight as she shoves past the guards to be by my side before they can even argue. I take the plant from her whilst the guards stare in a state of shock. Got them!
"Miss Quinzel this unacceptable behaviour. You can't really be suggesting you're going to live with this criminal it's madness"
"What's wrong Jeffrey you don't think I am capable of seeing that Harley is well looked after?" Ivy stepped forward in a menacing fashion but before she did anything I added
"Ivy is a great friend of mine and It's my business in what I do, as an officer it's not your job to interfere with my personal life. Now come along Ivy"
"I'll be back tomorrow for my plants, touch them and you seriously will be dead" I giggle as she links her arm in mine and we begin to walk to the entrance which was just round the corner before the officers could say anything else.
"Thanks for saving me back there Harl.Can I really stay at yours? I do have my own place but Batman has probably turned the whole place upside down looking for my deadly nightshade plant, it's probably not safe and I need to lay low."
"Of course Ivy what are friends for" my smile suddenly begins to dim. "Wait... Where is your plant?....Ivy you didn't" I look at the plant in my hands as she innocently smiles back.
"Ivy you made me get this plant for you so he wouldn't didn't you!" I shriek but she hushes me to stop, grabbing one of my hands to stop me from smashing it.
"Arkham was going to be the last place he was going to look I had no choice. For such a great detective he is pretty dumb... Quite handsome though don't you think?"
"Ivy!" I stop looking annoyed and burst into laughter no longer being mad at her, living with her was going to be the best! It had been years since I had had a roommate and to be honest there was no one I would rather want living with me. Suddenly more voices begin to appear as we approach nearer the front.
"Security gather round all stations"
"Do you think we're ready?"
"We have no option we have to be ready"
Before our eyes we see hundreds of guards gathered round the door with Dr Arkham instructing them all. He looked serious, adjusting his glasses and pointing commands even though I could barely hear him over the noise. It's all manic with loud voices and everyone moving so quickly it was more than I could bare... Then all of a sudden a manic laughter ripped through the crowd. Silence followed. Me and Ivy push our way through until there we stand in front of him. In front of the joker. The guards begin to gather round waiting for his next move, me on the other hand I could barely shove my feet forward to leave. Like a deer stuck in headlights I was caught.His hair was a dark green in straggly curled strands reaching his chin, his make up was smudged but it still made him look terrifying in my eyes...That clown make up was something that chilled me to the core, especially his mouth... Oh that mouth which was painted a bright red with scars on either side to look like a smile. It completely unnerved me. Ivy tries to shove me past but I stay still. His clothes were odd as well I notice, a deep purple suit with a green waistcoat and light purple shirt, Dr Arkham was stood holding his jacket looking through the pockets. They were pulling out knives and guns, every weapon seemed to be hidden in it. Joker was still continuing to laugh but all the time his eyes were fixed on me, his black eye paint half dripping down his cheeks which allowed me to see the eyes which stared deep into my soul. It was like he was reading my thoughts, the idea terrified me but it thrilled me at the same time. "Well isn't this a fun party" joker announces as he struggles in his straight jacket, a guard hits him on the head but instead of wincing he just laughs again instead. "Get that paint washed off him and leave him in his cell. We can deal with him tomorrow morning, I'm not in the mood." Dr Arkham says dumping the jacket on the reception desk, the joker Stares at him no longer laughing but having more of a dark appearance. "Oh you can't be bothered? From what I can recall you have been wanting me here for months... I thought we could spend some quality time together" he shrieks at his own joke and the guards raise up their guns, which Dr Arkham stops. "Quiet clown. You've ruined this town enough. Take him to his cell. Get him some fresh clothes and for gods sake take the paint off him"
"You take this paint off and I'll take your eyes out that's the way it's going to work" they hit him once more and they begin to drag him across over to the patients ward. "Cmon lets go" Ivy insists pulling me but instead I stop in front of him and the guards, I don't know what was possessing me but I had to do something. I see Ivy's look of warning, every pair of eyes were on me and I knew it. "Don't wash his make up off, let him wear his clothes and paint. It's his identity and we're not removing that. It-it will... Ruin my assessment of him and the therapy" Dr Arkham looks slightly pissed but I ignore the look, staring straight at the joker instead. He looks at me curiously and then stares at Dr Arkham, looking weirdly innocent as he does. "Very well Miss Quinzel, but if this blows up in your face... Then your not only going to receive bad press, your going to lose your job" I stare at him back with equal coolness. "I won't let you down Dr Arkham" I stand out of the way to let the guards and the joker pass but he turns round to stare at me. "So your miss Quinzel? My new therapist? Oh this..." A manic smile creeps across his face. "This is gonna be fun" and as he is marched away and the crowd dies down, I can't help but let a smile come across my own face. "Let's get you home" Ivy says, she links her arm through mine and as we walk home we walk in silence my thoughts begin to spin. She helps me remove my make up and I give her some spare clothes to change into, before I know it she is fast asleep on my double bed and I sit beside her looking outside the window.Eventually at around one or two I become unconscious and began to fall asleep, resting my head beside Pamela. Even though I hate to admit it joker was changing me and I had only said around two words to him. He was already making me more bold and daring;last night I was by myself thinking of only work and now I was lying beside a wanted criminal and went against my boss just to save the joker. I was a different person... And I was loving it.