chapter five

I was sitting down in the back yard.

 “Kate! Kate!” I heard Alex’s voice yell. He was waving his hands for me to come inside the house. There was a girl next to him that looked like the same age as him.

 I walked over to them.

 “Hey Alex, is this the person you were talking about?” I asked. The girl next to him was smiling up at me. She had bleached hair and was wearing a black shirt with jeans.

 It was kind of weird seeing a kid with bleached hair.

 “This is Stacy,” he told me.

“Hi Stacy, I’m Kate. How are you?” I asked.

“Hi, I’m doing okay, how ‘bout you?” she asked in her adorable voice.

 I smiled and said, “I’m doing pretty well.”

“Let’s play,” Alex said.

“What do you want to play?” I asked.

“I know! Let’s play Catcher,” Stacy said with a smile on her face.

“Sure, let’s play."

Alex smiled and said, “Fine.”

“Okay! I’ll tell Kate the rules. You can go get the ball,” she told him.

 He left and she said, “Okay, it’s pretty simple. One person will be the catcher. The catcher has to try and catch a ball that the other people are trying to throw at them. When the catcher gets the ball, they have to try and through it to a certain place. The other people have to try to stop the ball from getting there. If it goes through, then the catcher wins, but if the other people stop it in time, then they win.”

It sounded pretty easy.

“Okay, let’s play,” I said.

 She smiled and said, “Let’s play in the forest.”

Alex came back with a tennis ball and two pieces of paper with tape at the ends.

“We’re going to play in the woods Alex,” she smiled at him.

“Okay,” he said.

We all jumped over the fence that outlined the ballasts and walked until Alex stopped.

“Let’s play here,” he said.

 “Okay,” Stacy and I said. Alex placed one piece of paper on a tree.

 “Go put the other paper,” he told Stacy as he handed her the other paper. She began walking away with the other paper.

 “Why do you need to put the paper there?” I asked.

“It’s where the catcher has to throw it to.”

 “Why do you need two papers then?” I asked. “Stacy and I just use it as a target, but the one the catcher has to through it past, it this one,” he said, pointing to the one he put on the tree.

 “What do you mean by as a target?” I asked.

“I put it, we can play now,” Stacy said from behind me.

 “Okay, we have to go to the middle though,” Alex said. We walked a little until  Stacy said, “Okay, I think Kate should be the catcher.”“

Okay,” I said.

“You better run fast,” I heard Alex mumble. Alex walked a couple yards away from me, and so did Stacy, but in the opposite direction.

“Ready Kate?” Alex yelled.

“Ready!” I yelled back. Before I knew it, the ball was about to hit me. I moved out the way in time, and Stacy caught it.

 “I thought you said you were ready?” Alex laughed.

 “Sorry, I didn’t know you could through like that,” I said. Stacy threw the ball back towards me. She threw just as strong as Alex.

i began to run.

How was I suppose to catch a ball that?

I turned around and saw the ball coming again. I moved and saw the ball hit the tree that had the paper on it. The ball hit the paper right in the center, and went back to Stacy.

She caught it and threw it again.

 Now I knew why it was a target.

I stopped and decided to try and catch it. I held my hands out and actually caught it. I was surprised at myself for catching it. “

She caught it!” I heard Alex tell Stacy. I began to run to the ther white paper. Once I saw it, I threw the ball as hard as I could.

 It wasn’t even close to how hard they had thrown it though.

 In a flash, I saw Stacy jump up and catch it, just in time. She fell down and Alex and I walked over to her.

 “I got it!” she said with the ball in her hand.

“We win!” Alex said. My hands were hurting. I looked down at them and saw that they were red. It must have been from my catching the ball.

It was so weird how two little kids could through like that.