chapter twenty- three

I decided to paint for a little while longer as I waited for him to return. After a while I got bored and just took a step back to admire my work. Painting the whole room seemed like too much for one person in what I thought would have been just a couple minutes of being alone, so I had just painted different designs and things on each wall.

What I had thought would be 30 minutes at most, turned out to be hours. I had been staring at  the colorful hearts and flowers, just imaging what could be keeping Kevin so long.

I remembered his words before he had left. There was something that kept bugging me about it though. Maybe it was something that had to do with work, but he wouldn’t just abandon me like that if he knew he’d be gone for hours, we would’ve told me something.

As I tried to think of what time it was, I heard someone speak.

“Excuse me Ms.Stewart?”

I jumped back a bit, surprised by the sudden sound. I turned and saw the same girl from before behind me.  She shifted her long brown hair away from her face as she looked at me.

“I was told to inform you that Mr. Brook has business he must handle and to escort you to your room. He would also like to apologize because he has urgent work that must be taken care of, so he’s not sure when he’ll be home, but you shouldn’t wait up.”

“Wait, who’s Mr. Brook?” the confusion in my voice could be heard.

She has a confused expression like mines.

“Mr. Brook….the man that had been with you when I came in last time.”

Wait, Kevin…Brook? It had never occurred to me to ask for Kevin’s last name. So the man she was referring to hours ago was his dad?

“Oh, yeah sorry I just…forgot haha,” I tried to play it off as an accident. I could tell she hadn’t been convinced.

“I don’t need an escort, thank you very much.” I at least attempted to change the subject from the embarrassment I had brought upon myself not knowing Kevin’s last name.

She just nodded and smiled at me, changing direction and heading back out.

If Kevin’s dad was asking to talk to him earlier, why did it bother him so much? Did he not like his father or was it something else?

I decide to just leave it alone and hold on to the questions for when Kevin came back. In the mean time, my feet dragged me back to my room where I took a shower and laid in bed, just wondering what Kevin could be doing.

KEVIN’S POV

My pace quickened as I approached the entrance to meet with my father. His black , spotless Porsche was parked at the entrance with the last window rolled down. I saw the coldness in his eyes as his solid voice spoke.

“Get in.”

I glanced back at the white mansion I called home, thinking of Kate one last time before I opened the shiny handle and got it.

The expensive leather seats comforted the silence as my I tried to read my father’s emotionless face. My messed up dark brown hair was nothing like the pitch black hair that so many woman loved about him.  I was the spitting image of my father, except for a little of my hair and smile. My father almost never smiled where as I used to love to play around and laugh. But time had caused me to become more serious and a bit of a workaholic as the years had passed.

His dark red eyes looked right through me, as if acting like I wasn’t even there. The black work suit fitted him perfectly for the role of a king in the world of vampires.

I already knew what he wanted to talk about, and I mentally prepared myself for the lecture I was about to receive.

 ~

Once in the solitude of his big office, I sat down in my usual seat across from him. The neatly stacked rows of papers were piled at the ends of the deep brown desk, which he sat on the inside of.

I never knew how he could ever have so much time to work. But that was the thing, he never did stop. My mind always wondered whether he ever got sick of all the meetings and work like I did.

I stared at the small work lamp and pens that were arranged on top of the table until I heard him clear his throat.

“Kevin you have always fallowed orders and did exactly what you were supposed to. What is the meaning of this rumor I’ve heard of you and the white rabbit having feelings towards another?”

“Father I know it’s my job to protect her and-”

“That is exactly my point. You were directed to protect the white rabbit at all costs. She is a very rare creature that which we’ve spent years searching for and you’re here saying you have developed feeling for her? I trusted you with this task and you’ve already gotten her kidnapped and now I find out you like her.”

“I am protecting her father, and I’ll keep trying my hardest, I just got distracted by my feelings. Father I really do love her and-”

“Enough. I don’t want to hear this nonsense. You’re job is to protect her Kevin until me and the council decide to go through with our plan we have for her.”

“What do you mean your plan?” my mind started to wonder what they wanted to do with her. She was the white rabbit, but it never really occurred to me what they wanted to do to her so badly as to keep looking for her throughout the years.