chapter twelve

*KATES’S POV*

“At least we’ll be going out,” Nick said.

Pretending to go out,” I corrected him. He gave me a fake pouty face and I laughed.

We were sitting down outside on the cold pavement in front of the house. I shivered as a gust of cold wind blew. Nick looked over at me and took of his jacket.

“Here, you can use my jacket,” he said handing it to me. I shook my head.

“No, you need it more. I’m a kid and kids have warmer body temperature,” I relied, even though I thought Nick might have been just a year older than me at the most. I gasped as another cold wind stuck up on me.

“I’m okay, here,” he said. I took the jacket quickly and put in on. It felt a lot warmer now. Nick saw the smile on my face and said, “Look, you like me so much that even putting on my jacket makes you happy.”

I rolled my eyes and hit him on the shoulder playfully. Maybe he’s not so bad after all.

My thoughts got interrupted when I heard a car coming.

Nick and I stood up, letting the car stop in front of us. I was surprised to see Kevin come out of the car quickly.

Kevin walked right up to Nick.

“What are you doing here with her?” he asked. Nick turned to look at me then said, “Kate and I are going out now.” Nick placed his arm around me and I saw Kevin turn furious.

“Don’t touch her,” Kevin told him as he pushed away Nick’s hand from me.

I had no idea what Kevin was thinking. This wasn’t like him. Nick also looked kind of confused but put pretended to not care.

“She’s my girlfriend, not yours,” Nick told him. Nick actually looked serious though. It made me feel kind of weird.

Kevin just stood there, glaring at him, and Nick glared right back. It was like they were talking to each other and I just couldn’t hear. It felt like a century until Kevin decided to just go inside.

I turned to Nick.

“That was…” I couldn’t finish. I didn’t know what to say.

“Fun,” Nick smiled. I couldn’t help laughing.

*KEVIN’S POV*

I can’t fire Nick. It would make Kate hate me, and that’s one thing I can’t let happen.

My eyes trailed off looking outside at where Kate and Nick where. They were both laughing. Maybe Kate doesn’t like me, but I’ll find a way to get her if it’s the last thing I do.

“Hey Kevin,” I heard someone say. I turned around and wasn’t surprised to see Alex.

“What do you want?” I asked him. He looked outside and then smirked at me.

“Is Kevin a little jealous?” he asked in a way that made me want to hit him. I just glared at him though.

“If you want-“

“I don’t need your help or your advice. I don’t like Kate that way,” I cut him off. He raised his hands up and backed away, smiling.

“I wasn’t going to say that anyways,” he said turning back and walking.

“Oh, by the way, you’re brother called,” he told me. I could tell he had a smile across his face. I really hate him. But my hate for him is nothing to how much I hate Chris.

“Wait, Alex!” I said running up to him.

“What did he say?” I asked. He stopped and turned around.

“I don’t remember,” he smirked. It was so obvious he was lying.

“Just tell me so I can be ready for whatever he has planned,” I said. He stated walking backwards, with that smirk, and shrugged.

“I don’t remember,” he repeated. I sighed and he walked off. Why are there so many people that I hate? Why can’t everyone just leave me alone sometimes?

I walked back to my room, feeling tired, yet again.

……………………………………

(The next day)

“Kevin!” I heard someone say.

I looked around and spotted Chris. I sighed at the sight of him. He came running over to me smiling.

“What’s up little bro?” he asked hitting my back. I sighed again and rolled my eyes.

“What are you doing here?” I asked him.

“What? I can’t visit my brother?” he asked. “Stepbrother,” I said.

“Anyways, I heard you like a girl. Kate was it?” he said.

I’m going to kill Alex…

“You know I only like Jennifer,” I told him.

He smirked and shook his head. “But what about poor little Kate?” he asked.

I glared at him. “If you don’t shut up-”

“Hey Kevin,” Kate said coming up from behind me.

She slowed down once she saw Chris. “Sorry, I’ll let you guys talk,” she said. her cheeks were a light pink. I loved that about her. You could always tell what she was thinking, or how she felt.

“Oh, it’s okay. What’s your name cutie?” Chris asked. Kate looked so shy and helpless.

“K-”

“Chris, let’s not bother her. Did you want to talk to me about something Chris?” I changed the subject. His eyes didn’t leave Kate for a single moment though, and he stepped closer to her.

“Let’s talk later about that-what’s your name sweetie?” he asked again.

“Kate,” she told him. He make an evil smile and put his arm around her shoulder.

“My, my, Kate is it? Would you like to join little Kevin and I to a party we’re going to?” he asked looking at me instead of Kate. I glared at him as Kate answered, “Um, okay.”

Chris’s smile grew and he finally looked back down at Kate. “I’m so glad you said yes.”

Kate just stood there, too shy to talk. Chris finally took his hand off her and walked up to me. “Make sure to get her a pretty dress.” He smirked and walked away. I clutched my fists. I really did hate Chris.