chapter twenty- five

KEVIN’S POV

I sighed for what seemed like the hundredth time since leaving my father’s office. I had gone with nothing and was going back home with a stack of work and a headache. I didn’t want to think about Kate, I just wanted to put that aside and focus on my job and duty to protect her and just that. But I remembered how I had told her I wouldn’t take long and I pulled out my cell phone.

“Hello Mr. Brook, is everything fine?”

“Hello, yes everything okay, can you please inform Kate Stewart that I’ll be home late and to not wait up, just head to bed, and that I’m sorry. Please make sure she has an escort to her room.”

“Yes sir, I’ll do that right away,” my servant assured me.

“Ok, thank you,” I hung up, slid my iPhone back into the pocket. Chris, my chauffer, was already waiting outside for me.

“Hey prince. Home?” he greeted me as I stepped in. We had grown to become friends over the years and after a while he started giving me the nickname prince since everyone always knew me as that.

 “Yeah,” my voice came out tired.

The silent car ride seemed to go on forever as I read over the first page my father had given me to read. All the paper work I did was always about council meetings and boring things, but I had grown used to reading page after page of just words.

My thoughts wondering off as I got home and opened the big door that lead to inside. As I walked to my room, I passed Kate’s and stopped for a second, thinking of the moments we had spent together.

A memory engulfed me as I stared at the door. ~~

“This is a very important job Kevin,” my father’s red eyes looked deeply into mines. After my mother had died, he never once looked at me with the happy, warm eyes he used to have.

“What white rabbit has been located.”

My eyes widened as I was about to ask how, but decided to not interrupt.

“Your next assignment will be to watch over her from afar. You are to make sure she doesn’t get killed or lost. When the council and I decide it’s time to bring her in, you will be informed. In the mean time though, you must stay out of sight and perform for duty.”

I nodded as he spoke.

“You will have no other interactions with her other than the ones instructed for you to do. Your job is just to protect her. This is a very important task and I’m giving it to you because you’re the most qualified. You’ve never disappointed me and I know you won’t now, so just remember to stick with your orders, nothing more, and nothing less.” ~~

I had been watching her for three months before the vampire incident. I used to watch her leave her house every morning, usually with tears in her eyes. It never occurred to me to find out why she always seemed so sad and teary, but not because I hadn’t thought something was wrong, but because I just didn’t care to know. It wasn’t my duty to make her happy and cheer her up. It also never came to mind that her father would be abusing her.