Chapter 28-Trying Something New

Chapter 28

       The last bell of the day rang and I walked out of my theatre class. I made my way to my locker at the other end of the school, ignoring the looks Macy and her friends gave me. I turned the knob to my combination when I made it to my locker. Opening it, I grabbed my math and english books out.

         "I'm so not looking forward to sharing a room with you," Mai spat at me as she passed by. I sighed and closed my locker, leaning my back against it. At thsi point, it seemed like nothing would end.

            "Alright?" I heard someone ask from beside me. I opened my eyes to see Noah, giving me a sympathetic smile. I shrugged, standing up stright.

       "Just not looking forward to my new roommate," I said with a small smile. I took a deep breath and got ready to turn around, but Noah caught my arm.

           "Let's do something tonight then," He told me, smiling sincerely.

         "I think we did enough yesterday. The questions haven't stopped," I said, though I wish I could've just said yes. I wish I could just go and never come back.

        I went to turn around again, but Noah stopped me once again.

           "Ariana, you don't want to be home. Austin knows nothing is happening," He reasoned with me. I bit my lip, debating on what I should decide to do.

            I slowly nodded and he smiled, bringing me to his truck. He opened the door for me, and I got in, setting my bag down on the floor.

           "How about we just hang out at my house? My mom wants to see how you're doing," He told me, glancing at me as he got in and started the truck up. I furrowed my eyebrows.

            "What do you mean?" I asked, noting his mom had only met me once, the day we made the bet. He smiled and shrugged.

             "She knows all that's been going on," He told me, biting his lip. I nodded slowly, not quite sure why he would tell her all of that. He parked in his driveway and we both got out, walking inside.

            "I'm home!" He called to his mom, who was in the kitchen. She walked out to greet him, saying, "You haven't been home this early in ages. What's the occ-" She stopped when she saw me. I gave her a small smile.

        "Ariana!" She walked over and hugged me quickly. "I hope things are going well at home. Noah's been keeping me updated. Austin's like a second son, and you're his sister, so you're welcome here any time," She assured me, patting my back.

         It felt nice. It was like I had a mother again. Noah smiled at me.

          "We're going to hang out in my room, mom," He told her.

         It was still weird getting used to how much Noah had changed in the past few months, and some times I felt as if it was all just an act.

             His mom looked at him wearily before giving a stern nod. Noah took my hand, leading me up to his room and openning the door for me.

        I looked around, quite surprised by what I saw. His room was completely clean. There wasn't a single thing on the floor, except for his bookbag which he had just set down. His bed sat in the corner by a window with a nightstand next to it. His closest was across from it and he had a desk next to the door.

       I looked around as he slid into the swivel chair that went with his desk, looking up at me. "My room won't bite," He told me. I chuckled quietly and shook my head as I took a seat on his bed.

           "My mom's worried about both of you," He told me, turning in the swivel chair to face me. I furrowed my eyebrows.

            "Why?" I asked quietly.

             He shrugged. "Like she said before, Austin is like a second son," He said, looking up at me.

       "That explains nothing about me," I stated. Even though Austin as my brother, it didn't make sense as to why she would care so much about me. Especially since Noah hated me all of my life.

            "She knows how I feel about you," He said quietly. He got up and sat against the wall on his bed. I turned and crosed my legs, facing him. I looked at him for a moment, biting my lip.

        As much as I wanted to deny it, I seriously had feelings for Noah. He was there for me through everything with my friends, and he was taking notice in the things that hurt me. He was being sweet. I was tired of everything getting in the way of making me happy. All I needed was one thing. Just one thing, but nothing would give that to me.

        "If you...do stop just playing girls, what will everyone think?" I asked him. He looked down and shrugged.

             "I guess we're gonna find out," He said quietly, taking a deep breath.

       "You can't-" He stopped me before I got another word out.

        "I want to, Ariana. You make me want to try," He said, looking at me. I could tell he was completely serious.

         "If you want to try so badly, then try for real. If you think something serious isn't for you right now, then we won't go on with it," I told him. He looked at me for a moment and it was the first tiem I'd noticed that we had both gotten closer to each other.

          "If you want to take a risk," He murmured. I smiled a little.

          "Taking a risk is something I need right now," I whispered. He leaned in just a little more, making our lips meet.

        He set his hands on my waist, pulling me closer as we continued kissing. Our lips moved perfectly together, and it scared me a little bit. I tangled my hands in his hair, finding it extremely hard to pull away from him.

       He bit his lip. "Sorry," He whispered softly to me. I shook my head. This was new to me, but I knew I'd be able to handle it.

          "No need to be," I murmured, kissing him softly again. I felt him smile into this kiss and I could tell he was being much more gentle with me that he usually was.

         He pulled away after a moment and brushed my hair back. "How about a first date?" He asked me. I smiled.

         "I think that sounds nice," I said quietly.

         Maybe it was a mistake to tell Noah that I wanted this now, but I just wanted to be content with some part of my life. I wanted someone I could escape with. And Noah cared about me, and that was enough reason at this point.