Ch 1.

Ch1.

                The rain pounded on the metal roof of the dinner as I watched drop after drop hit the window. The old bus pulled up to the stop across the street like every other day. And every day I told myself I was going to walk out and get on it. I was going to go and leave this town forever. But the bell of my order brought me back to reality.

                “You have tables six through fifteen today Mia.” It was a busy afternoon like always, since this was one of the only places to eat in this town. I smiled at the faces of my ‘regulars’ before taking their orders. Thankfully I was one of the youngest waitresses in this place which meant most of the business men wanted my section. Of course they wanted it to be able to flirt with me but with a sweet personality I could usually get a pretty good tip out of them. The doorbell went off as two unknown boys walked in.

                “Annie, who are they?” Annie was a short girl that I had met in kindergarten and we had been inseparable since. I viewed her more as a sister than a friend.

                “I have no idea, but it looks like your about to find out. If they ask you out on a date you better say yes Mia!” She always acted as though I was some gorgeous model, which I clearly wasn’t. And although I got some attention from the male population, my goal was to save enough money to leave this town and go to college.

                “Hi my name is Mia and I will be serving ya’ll today, what would you like to drink?” Both of the guys were tall and nicely dressed. They were built like they were in the NFL and by my guess I was sure girls swooned over them where ever they went. I glanced at the one on the right and found him staring at Annie behind the counter. As soon as the one closest to the window raised his head I knew I had met him before.

*Flashback*

                My body pulsed to the music in the dark living room. We had one another football game so here we were celebrating in some sophomore’s house while his parents were away. I had been dancing in the middle of the room with some random guy while my boyfriend James made his rounds shaking hands and doing the whole bro shake with everyone. My body was sweating but I knew I looked fierce in the tight black dress James had picked out for my birthday. I knew I needed a break from dancing and drink before I passed out.

                “Hey need a drink Mia?” A strong arm wrapped around my waist pulling me to safety. The arm belonged to Mike, James’s best friend. He was handsome and was always there when I needed someone.

                “Yes thanks. Have you seen James, I thought I saw him headed upstairs.” As soon as I stepped towards the stairs his arms pulled me back to him.

                “Mia look, don’t go up there please.” The pit of my stomach dropped. “I’m trying to look out for you.”