Ch 2

Recap:

“I should probably go it’s getting late.” Standing up he brushed off his jeans before leaning down and helping me up. “Can I text or call you later?” My heart squeezed at that. Although this guy gave me butterflies I was nervous. I had my heart broken once before and I didn’t want to go through that again. After the incident with James, not only had my boyfriend of 4 years broke my heart, but my bestfriend also betrayed me. 

                “Sure and please drive careful Blaze.” He kissed my cheek before heading out the door leaving me alone with my thoughts as sleep overcame me.

                Light streamed in through the kitchen window as I grabbed my coffee and headed out the door to sit on the little swing. This small house held so many memories for me. But lately it just reminded me how alone i was now. I remembered how at night my parents would leave the windows open because my mom loved the sound and the fresh air while she slept, but now that i was alone, having an open window while i slept freaked me out. Before i laid down i walked around the house shutting and locking every window and then double checking. At night i would lie awake listening for any small noise i could find, which were usually from the fat orange cat, Tabby, I had. Finally she would jump up on my bed, rub her nose on mine purring before cuddling into me and falling asleep. 

I was thankful for the perfect weather so I could walk to work. It was almost fall so the leaves were just turning bright colors. Most people jump in their car and race to work, but I loved the peacefulness. Walking helped clear my head and gave me an escape from my messed up life. It had been two years since my parents had died in the car accident and a year since my brother left the nightmares behind. Being forced to grow up at such an early age sucked but i had learned to deal with it. The tears had stopped months ago but the pain was still there.

                “Hey Mia, so are you excited for your birthday tomorrow? Don’t act like you honestly thought I’d forget! I’ll be over tomorrow so if you hear someone in your house don’t freak out.” Annie handed me my apron as I walked in the front door of the dinner. I hated my birthday and Annie knew that. It was just a reminder that another year had passed since the accident.

                “Shut up and give me my tables. I’d rather just get this day started so I could get some tips and hurry home to curl up on the couch.” People came and went like always. Some left good tips others left a dollar or two. It was an hour before Annie poked me in the side and pointed to the door.

                “Looks like he liked his waitress so much he wanted some more of this rinky dink dinner. Get the number of that cute friend of his… or maybe his brother. That’d be so cool if we each married them and became sisters.”

                “Annie, we pretty much are sisters.” Rolling my eyes I couldn’t believe the imagination of this girl. “Hey you, second day in a row? We both know the foods not that good.” The last part I whispered to him, the last thing I needed was the chef being on my bad side.